It’s Creative Blog Talk time again – where we are taking a brief break from crafting to go behind the scenes to share blogging tips and inspiration. It’s also a NEW year and the perfect time to take your blog to the next level.
Many of the items on the list may seem common sense but unless we take action – the results are fleeting. In aggregate, the list is really overwhelming but definitely manageable if broken into smaller weekly tasks.
Challenge yourself today to knock off one item on the list every week.
If you already have an area mastered, pat yourself on the back but also review if a refresher is needed for the new year.
Weekly Challenge Checklist (pick your own sequence):
- Reset your blog goals for the new year
- Set up a tracking sheet to capture traffic and social media metrics (at least monthly)
- Clean your office (purge, file, label)
- Organize your crafting supplies
- Prepare for taxes – Summarize your 2014 revenue and expenses
- Update your blog layout
- Improve your photography skills – take an online course
- Register your DBA (Doing Business As) name
- Create a new routine for focused blog time (when and where?)
- Create a new routine for managing social media amplification (focused and finite time)
- Create a new routine for engaging in private Facebook groups (limited but focused time)
- Review your hosting plan to see if it can seamlessly scale with your growth
- Set up your cash flow forecast (track recurring expenses vs. timing of incoming payments)
- Set up your small business accounting software (see past post #1 for intro or post #2 for setup)
- Review your Twitter followers (follow or unfollow) and update your profile description
- Update your photo sharing, disclosure, privacy policies
- Take new headshots
- Schedule out relevant blog conferences to attend in the new year
- Develop your targeted Brand list (Who do you want to work with? Engage with them on social media to start)
- Schedule out your editorial calendar for the next 2 months (and set up cadence to review every month for the upcoming 2 months)
- Update business cards
- Update your Twitter lists & Hootsuite streams
- Set up (or update) your email subscription capture and distribution settings
- Create a new Freemium for email subscribers
- Trademark your name (or review to see if existing Trademark still covers your branding)
- Update your About Me/About Us page
- Upgrade your equipment (photography/video, lighting)
- Incorporate video blogging into your posts
- Enlist guest authors to post to expand audience and balance your time
- Guest post on other sites to expand audience
- Prepare/update your media kit
- Interview and engage technical consultants to be available on call when needed
- Set up IFTTT automation
- Try Elance or Fiverr
- Brainstorm new revenue streams
- Outline your book
- Prepare your social media policy
- Enlist the assistance of a virtual assistant for social media amplification
- Meet with your Tribe (in real life)
- Add or update a General Business Liability insurance policy
- Evaluate the need to incorporate (depending on income and asset protection needed)
- Focus on increasing Bloglovin’ followers
- Focus on increasing Facebook followers
- Engage in a new Brand Ambassador relationship
- Reeducate yourself on SEO optimization and tools
- Apply to blogger networks or re-engage (see sidebar of our Homepage for examples)
- Set up a Press Page – including ‘As Seen On’ highlights and contact information for media kits
- Create an ebook for sale
- Analyze your Google Analytics and discover what’s most popular with your audience
- Research the latest wordpress plugins or apps to help make your blogging life easier
- Set up your business checking account (or review features of an existing account)
- Clean up your sidebar
One goal per week. You can do this!!!
Grab your 52 Ways to Take Your Blog to the Next Level Checklist Printable. Download, print out and start checking off your list!
Each of these tasks can be expanded to a blog post in itself. Your feedback (comment below or Tweet #CreativeBlogTalk) will influence how we tackle these topics through the next year. What would you like us to do a deep dive on? You can comment below or fill out our Creative Blog Talk Series form. We will continue the series here, but also send exclusive content directly to #CreativeBlogTalk subscribers. Sign up here for free.
We tried our first Fiverr engagement (#34 on the list). Check out the results from a 10 minute investment submitting requirements and $5 base + extra $10 to add in the images and background. This was a fun fast investment and shows the power of getting a little help.
Be sure to catch up on our past posts:
- Set Mind-Blowing Blog Goals
- 50+ Must Haves for Blogging
- 5 Tips for Great Content Building
- 5 Ways to Focus Your Consistency
- 5 Tips to Build Your Awesome Community
- 3 Ways to Create, Cultivate and Super Charge Your Blog Brand
- Why Your Email List is MORE Important Than Your Pageviews
- How to Build Your Awesome Email List
- 7 Killer Strategies for Using Hootsuite
- 5 Simple Steps to Create a Successful Pinnable Roundup
- How to Beat the Blogger Blues
- Where are You on the Blogging Timeline?