February is here and it’s time to celebrate National Avocado and Banana Month. Avocados and bananas are a regular staple in our kitchen – but giving each of them an ‘official’ month makes me want to find new and creative ways to use these fruits. I don’t know if it’s intentional that both fruits share the same month to celebrate – but they make a great pairing in so many recipes – so let’s get mixing!
Why Celebrate Avocados?
- They are vitamin & mineral rich – full of potassium (35% higher than bananas) and vitamins B, E & K, Folate (heart-health), Lutein (eye-health)
- They are high in monounsaturated fats – ‘healthy’ fats needed in a balanced diet
- They can be used in sweet or savory dishes
Why Celebrate Bananas?
- They are portable – already packaged as a quick take & go snack
- They are a great source of energy – especially when rushing between meetings and appointments
- They are full of potassium and vitamin B6 (brain-health)
Tips & Tricks
- Squeeze lemon or lime juice over cut avocado to delay browning
- Peel a banana from the bottom to avoid the banana strings
- Troubled by avocados ripening too quickly? – put them in the refrigerator to slow down the ripening process
- Freeze a ripe avocado (perfect for smoothies later) by first pureeing with 1 tablespoon lemon juice and storing in an airtight container with an inch of headspace (via The Kitchn)
- Adding lemon juice to a mashed banana prior to freezing will also stop the browning process
Using Bananas and Avocados Together
To help celebrate banana and avocado month, we decided to make Yummy & Healthy Banana Avocado Bread by adapting an enticing recipe from Oven Love. The power of family helped bring this creation together for today’s post. My mom (and one of our biggest fans) is still visiting and offered to make the bread while I was at the office. (Thank you, Mom!) I came home late after an exhausting day and found that my mom and my tween made it a fun after-school activity to not only make the bread, but artistically arrange it and take the photos. My 10-yr old daughter figured out the tripod and advanced photo settings and took better pictures than I have been known to take. Our 3-yr old twins did their part by eating multiple servings for a dinner treat.
If you are looking for a healthy and satisfying treat (or just looking for an easy after-school cooking activity) – check out this recipe. The sweetness comes from the banana, honey and applesauce (no refined sugar) and the moistness comes from our honorable fruits of the month (avocado & banana).
Yummy & Healthy Banana Avocado Bread
Adapted from Oven Love
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup roughly mashed avocado
- 1/2 cup mashed banana
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 9X5 loaf pan with parchment paper rubbed lightly with oil
- Mix together the dry ingredients in a large bowl- flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt
- In a separate bowl, mix the moist ingredients – eggs, avocado, banana, yogurt, applesauce, honey, vanilla, lemon juice
- Add the moist ingredients to the dry and stir together just until mixed
- Pour into the prepared loaf pan
- Bake 55-60 minutes – testing doneness with a toothpick
- Cool – then slice and enjoy!
Yummy & Healthy Banana Avocado Bread:
How are you celebrating Avocado and Banana Month? Share your crafty fruit adventures below!
- “10 Health Benefits of Avocados” by HealthDiaries.com
- “14 Health Benefits of Bananas you Might Not Know About” by Lifescript.com
- “Banana Fun Facts and Trivia” from Chiquita
- “How to Slice, Store & Eat an Avocado: 15 Tips” from The Kitchn
If you liked this post, and want more, you can subscribe to be on our mailing list here.
Follow Lynnee’s boards on Pinterest
There is definately a lot to find out about this topic.
I really like all of the points you’ve made.