It’s that time of year…. The plague has hit our household again. OK, not the plague, but flu and cold season has hit us hard. We were semi-prepared, but with the hard hits, I am more determined to be better prepared for the next onslaught. We’ve gone through this cycle before, so you may remember our 8 No-Joke Time-Saver Tricks and Feel Better Remedies or 5 Top Pinterest Pins for Creative Flu Fighting.
Note: These remedies do NOT replace any professional advice from your doctor. These recipes can help bring some relief, but definitely ask a medical professional if you have any concerns and especially with prolonged or escalating sickness.
Our home arsenal of soothing and healing remedies:
- Honey – soothes a sore throat
- Ginger – reduces nausea
- Warm broth – provides upper respiratory relief
- Saline nasal spray – breaks up nasal congestion
- Garlic – battles infections especially during early stages of a sore throat
- Apple cider vinegar – fights early-stage infection
- Soft tissues with lotion – worth the extra money when you are sick
- Petroleum jelly or Eucerin – protects raw skin under a drippy nose
- Vicks VapoRub – alleviates nighttime coughing when rubbed on the feet and covered with socks (great tip from Bette at Somerset Lane)
Photo credits starting top-right going clockwise: Cold Busting Berry Smoothie (Reboot with Joe), Cold Buster Smoothie (Running to the Kitchen), Winter Cold Miracle Tea (Somerset Lane Blog), Slow Cooker Chicken and Wild Rice Soup (Two Peas & Their Pod), Green Flu-Fighter Juice (Daily Bites Blog), Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup (Live Laugh Rowe)
Soothing and Healing Recipes:
Smoothies and Juices (listing major ingredients not obvious from the titles)
1. Green Flu-Fighter Juice (Daily Bites Blog) – spinach, kale, cucumber, ginger
2. Cold Busting Berry Smoothie (Reboot with Joe) – berries, dates, coconut water, orange
3. Cold Buster Smoothie (Running to the Kitchen) – berries, orange, kale, almond milk
4. Magical Cold Blaster Smoothie (Keeping Healthy Getting Stylish) – berries, cayenne, cocoa, ginger
5. Gimme Green Pure Energy Smoothie (Heaven on Earth-Home) – apple juice, banana, coconut oil, greens
Soothing Teas and Syrups
6. Winter Cold Miracle Tea (Somerset Lane Blog)
7. Apple Cider Vinegar Brew (FitSugar)
8. Honey Lemon Cough and Cold Remedy (Gwen’s Nest)
9. Flu Tea (My Lemony Kitchen)
10. Clove Coconut Oil Tea (Bleaubird Blog)
Warm Broth Recipes
11. Comforting Homemade Chicken Soup (Skinny Kitchen)
12. Fork-in-the-Road Simplest Vegetable Soup (The Mom 100 Blog)
13. Kitchen Sink Soup (In the Next 30 Days)
14. Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup (Live Laugh Rowe)
15. Slow Cooker Chicken and Wild Rice Soup (Two Peas & Their Pod)
You can also find all of these recipes linked in my Feel Better Pinterest board. Do you have any favorite cold or flu-busting remedies? Share below!
If you liked this post, and want more, you can subscribe to be on our mailing list here.
Follow Lynnee’s boards on Pinterest and Pauline’s Club ChicaCircle boards here. You can also find Lynnee Jimenez on Google+.
Great photo and article – I will slather Vicks on my feet and wear socks to bed tonight! Remember the key key to happiness is 8 hours of sleep every night!
Ahh yes! I need to write myself a BIG note to get to bed on time! Thanks Ellen
The flu (or something as equally nasty) has just started making its rounds over here. I’m so glad to read these natural and useful remedies. I recommend a warm blanket, a couch, and some really fab movies.
Thanks also for sharing my Kitchen Sink Soup. I have that on my dinner plan for the week!