Milk Toast- Comfort Food for the Flu-Ridden Stomach

Last week, our entire family was down for the count with a nasty stomach bug. When we finally started to eat again, it was a slow process to settle our stomachs. All I wanted was comfort food (and a nice carbonated Diet Coke). My favorite sickness comfort food is milk toast- a family recipe handed down from my grandma and mom. Milk toast is easy to make and easy on the stomach. I wish you nothing but good health, but also good milk toast in times of need.

Ingredients

• 2 cups milk & 1/4 cup milk reserved for corn starch mixture
  • 2-1/2 tablespoons corn starch
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • Toasted bread
  • Cinnamon and sugar to sprinkle on top
http://pinterest.com/source/club.chicacircle.com/

Preparation Steps
First, warm 2 cups of milk in a saucepan while stirring frequently (but do not boil).

While the milk is heating, prepare a slurry of 2-1/2 tablespoons corn starch in a small bowl with cold milk.  Stir the corn starch/cold milk until smooth and no lumps remain.

Add 1/2 teaspoon vanilla to the corn starch slurry.

When the milk in the saucepan is heated just prior to bubbling, stir in the corn starch slurry.  Keep stirring and turn down the heat to low while it thickens.

Toast the bread. (Texas toast works the best to soak up the sauce.) Pour warm thickened milk sauce over the toasted bread.

Sprinkle the top with cinnamon and sugar

Enjoy the warm comfort food!

After making this for my family, I searched online to find that this is a historical comfort dish through the generations for others as well. Wikipedia gives some good historical references with recipe alternatives, including adding butter or using condensed milk.

Once again, I wish you and your family good health and good comfort.

If you liked this post, and want more, you can subscribe to be on our mailing list here.

If you liked this post and want more, you can subscribe to be on our mailing list and make sure to get your free Cupcake Toppers Printables for Every Occasion.

1 comment for “Milk Toast- Comfort Food for the Flu-Ridden Stomach

Comments are closed.