Welcome to Miranda’s Kitchen—where one of our resident tweens shares how to make Vanilla Panna Cotta based on one of her favorite desserts inspired by the “Around the World Cookbook” by Abigail Johnson Dodge.
Here is the official recipe:
You will need:
- Small saucepan
- Wooden spoon
- Custard cups or small ramekins
- Plastic wrap
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 4 teaspoons unflavored powdered gelatin
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- garnish of choice – fresh mint, chocolate, berries, etc.
- Pour 1 cup of the milk into small saucepan. Sprinkle gelatin over the milk. Let sit until gelatin is moist and puffy, about 4 minutes. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly until gelatin is dissolved. Don’t let the mixture boil. Remove the pan from heat and set aside.
- In the blender, combine remaining milk, sugar, ricotta, and vanilla. Blend until smooth, about 1 minute. Add the gelatin mixture and blend another 30 seconds until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into the custard cups or ramekins and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until firm, about 6 hours. Garnish with your favorite toppings and serve cold.
Miranda is a crafty, sporty, tween girl who loves to cook, draw, play soccer, run marathons, and have fun with her friends.