Ever since I saw this video from Oh Crafts! on how they made sock cupcakes, I have always loved this cool crafty gift idea. We recently had some friends who had babies, and I knew I had to try a twist on this homemade cupcake gift idea. And of course, I am going to share with all of you!
If you know me, I love to gift homemade gifts. I also wanted a unique way to compliment a gift card for the new parents so that they could pick out something personal or much needed for baby to be. I brought my homemade cupcake gift to the baby shower for mom-to-be, and after she realized what the cute cloth cupcakes were as she unwrapped one of them, it was the hit of the party!
I started with the following supplies:
- cupcake gift box (I found mine at my local Michaels store)
- colorful cupcake liners
- cupcake sleeves (optional)
- 4 onesies (I used a pack of Gerber ones from Target)
- 2 pairs of baby socks (also found at Target)
- Scotch tape
Here is a visual of how I made the cupcakes:
- Fold each onesies long ways twice in on itself, so it is a very thin long piece.
- Then take one sock and let the top of the toe area of the sock pop above the onesie.
- Roll the sock tightly in the middle of the onesie to create the cupcake shape. The sock becomes the cherry, and the onesie becomes a swirled cupcake shape.
- While holding the rolled onesie cupcake, take a piece of clear scotch tape to secure.
- Place in cupcake liner and cupcake wrap and place in cupcake gift box. Repeat for all 4 onesies.
- Finish off by tying a cut ribbon around the box, attach the gift card, and voilá!
UPDATE: After making over a dozen of these cupcake onesies boxes, I realized if I let the end of the baby sock hang down, I could fold it up around the onesie roll to secure without the use of tape, just like this:
You can customize each cupcake gift box depending on the gender of the baby. Here is a cute example of a cupcake onesies gift box for twins—a boy and a girl.
Enjoy, and happy crafting!
If you liked this post, and want more, you can subscribe to be on our mailing list here.
Latest posts by Pauline Molinari (see all)
- Holiday Gift Box Concrete Block Craft with FrogTape® - December 12, 2013
- Merry & Bright Holiday Gift Tag Printables for Friends & Teachers - December 12, 2013
- Tap Light Holiday Ornaments - December 11, 2013
- Holiday Doodling with Sharpie Markers on Framed Family Photos - December 10, 2013
This entry was posted on September 10, 2012 at 8:56 am and is filed under Be a part of our village, Blogroll, DIY, Homemade Gifts, Most Popular Posts. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.