Rock, Paper, Scissors – You win! Create your own Vision Rocks!

vision rocks

It’s 2012, and it feels like the first day of school again. I am feeling a bit reflective, and I needed a craft to express that. I have found myself in my crafty home office alone for the first time it seems in almost 3 weeks. My tween is back at school, the hubby is off on a business trip, and the houseguests have all gone home.

I didn’t make any New Year’s resolutions, but I have been making a list of goals for 2012 – scary, exciting, mind-blowing if they come true goals. I have created many vision boards with my tween, and of course they always look very different with our individual “visions”, but the experience has always been the same – fun, messy, inspiring, and fulfilling.

You may remember that I love to craft with rocks, and this time I thought, what better canvas than a rock for my vision board. Thus operation vision rocks was born!

Set up is simple: grab a pile of your favorite magazines, scissors, and some Mod Podge® (Elmer’s glue will also work in a pinch – just water it down a little). You can create your own vision boards on posterboard, but for this project, grab some river rocks. The smooth shaped rocks are the perfect size to hold in your hand and keep on your desk for a lovely paperweight. Once complete, you can literally hold your dreams in the palm of your hand.

So I grabbed my morning cup of coffee, a variety of magazines ranging from O, Martha Stewart Living, and even the Ikea catalog, turned on some tunes, and just started cutting and collecting words and phrases that reflected what I wanted 2012 to be. Of course, once I started, I couldn’t stop!

When applying your words or pictures to your rocks, first coat one side of the rock with a layer of Mod Podge, then apply your design and coat again over the top to seal. Let one side dry and continue to apply your designs on the back, or simply seal the rest of the rock with Mod Podge to a uniform look.

You can create a simple vision rock with one word (love the Sparkle Mod Podge® for this), create a message rock to gift to a friend or loved one (already thinking of Valentines day!), or create a wonderful collage of words and phrases for your own personal vision rock.

Whatever your vision for the year – whether you craft it on a rock, write it in your journal, or say it in a prayer – we hope all your dreams come true this year!

Happy New Year!

If you liked this post, and want more, you can subscribe to be on our mailing list here.

Pauline Molinari

I'm the crafty maven, and I'm on a mission to spread craftiness. With a fine arts degree, over 15 years experience in children's publishing, and a savvy, stylish, sassy tween daughter, I come armed with perspective and passion to inspire tween girls and their mothers to be crafty together. 

If you liked this post and want more, you can subscribe to be on our mailing list and make sure to get your free Cupcake Toppers Printables for Every Occasion.

7 comments for “Rock, Paper, Scissors – You win! Create your own Vision Rocks!

1. kate
    January 3, 2012 at 2:23 pm

LOVE LOVE LOVE the idea! Have the Modge Podge, have the river rocks from whitewater rafting in Montana this summer, have the preteen and tweens. I’ll bet their rocks will look very different from each other and my own!

Thanks for the fabulous idea, Chica Circle!

• January 3, 2012 at 3:12 pm

Thanks Kate! Have fun crafting your own rocks. Would love to see what the rocks look like in your neck of the woods. = )

2. Dottie
    July 9, 2013 at 8:42 am

I absolutely love your idea for the “inspirational rocks”!!! About a week ago, i painted quite a few rocks ( just a pretty solid color), hoping that by the time they dried i would come up with some crafty idea to do with them. I wanted my idea to be fun as well as meaningful. I also wanted each one to be unique…..like my friends. After a week of contemplating i decided to google the idea to see what i could come up with. From the very first moment i saw the picture, i was hooked on the idea!

3. Renee
    June 2, 2014 at 2:33 am

Thank you for the great idea. Will do this craft at church camp next week…but thinking we will decorate rocks for one another. It looks fun and supplies are minimal (and there are lots of rocks where we are headed). AND most importantly, it is something the teenagers will take home and remember the week when they see it.

4. March 7, 2015 at 9:27 am

Thank you so much for all your fun creative activities! I love sharing them on my pinterest boards and on my facebook page. This is one of my favorites!

5. Carrie
    January 15, 2016 at 8:26 am

I am moving we have lost some 4 legged friends whom we will never forget. But as a surprise for my husband I would like to transfer pictures of these loved ones on fairly large rock from where we live now and put them on a rock wall at our new home. Since they will be outside how would I do this? I plan on placing solar lights to accent at night. Any ideas welcome Thank you.

• January 18, 2016 at 1:35 pm

I would recommend using Outdoor decoupage or Mod Podge to seal in the pictures. Dishwasher safe decoupage or mod podge should work too for outdoor use since it is not water-based. So sorry for your loss.

Comments are closed.