Toothpick Painting with Kids

Have you ever painted with a toothpick before?

Paint Swirl Toothpick Painted Wood Ornaments

If yes, you know how fun and easy it is. If you answered no, then you are going to want to try this simple craft idea with your kids. It’s so easy, kids of all ages will love the designs they can make with a little paint, glue or decoupage, and toothpicks.

And we have a fun crafty photo challenge for all of you. We want to see your crafts. We want to see the fun creative things you do with your kids. We challenge you to spend 30 minutes – that’s it – 30 minutes doing a craft activity with your kids.

Don’t have kids? Borrow some from the neighbors, or have a blast being creative yourself. I’m telling you – crafty is contagious – and once you start you can’t wait to keep going.

Crafting with my daughter is one of the highlights of our weekends. Sometimes she invites friends over, sometimes it’s just us, and truth be told, sometimes it’s just me crafting. I need my creative fix just as much as my daughter craves it.

Today’s craft idea is a super fun one, and to prove it, here is a quick video of how I did this with my daughter this past weekend.

I challenged myself by making a crafty tutorial video, and now I challenge you to plan a little crafty time this weekend and share your pictures with us on InstagramTwitter or Facebook using the hashtag #craftyiscontagious.

This is what you will need for your own toothpick painting fun:

Toothpick painting with kids decoupage and paint supplies

Supply list:

• Decoupage or school glue (I prefer the decoupage with the glossy finish and I used Americana Decou-Page)
  • Craft Paint colors of choice (I used Americana Neons Fluorescent Acrylics)
  • Wood shapes (found at your local craft store, I used wood ovals for Easter eggs, stars and hearts from Michaels)
  • Toothpicks

Here is how this simple painting technique works:

1. Start by randomly squirting decoupage on top of your wood shape
  2. Then squirt on paint colors randomly on top
  3. Use a toothpick to spread and mix the paints to make cool designs
  4. Let dry

Toothpick painting with kids easy photo tutorial DIY

Above it what it looks like before it dries.

And here is what it looks like after its completely dry. The surface is really shiny, and has a cool dimensional effect. Wherever the decoupage was, it is now clear and the cool color design shows through.

Toothpick painting with kids dried

Warning! Once my daughter got going, she couldn’t stop! = )

Toothpick painting with kids

You can use whatever paints you choose. We started with the Americana Neon Acrylic paints, and moved on to some glittery paints as well.

I have found these tubes of paint for less than $1 each at my local Michaels. The wood shapes range from usually a quarter to less than a $1 as well.

Then you can add ribbons to the backs and hang them as pretty ornaments or decorations after you are done. You can turn these into gift ideas, or group craft classroom activity too!

Cool Weekend craft project for kids - toothpick painting DIY

Painting with toothpicks can also be help when making pretty little polka dots, like in these cute Strawberry Acorn magnets from Crafts by Amanda. Ingenious how she turned little acorns into pretty pink and red strawberries!

strawberry-acorn-magnets craft

Now, it’s your turn. Make your supply list, plan 30 minutes this weekend to craft, take pictures, share with us and, most of all, have fun!!

Happy Crafting!

If you liked this post, and want more, you can subscribe to be on our mailing list here, and make sure to get your free Cupcake Toppers Printables for Every Occasion.

Feeling social? Follow ChicaCircle on Facebook or Twitter, and follow me on Pinterest or Instagram.

If you liked this post and want more, you can subscribe to be on our mailing list and make sure to get your free Cupcake Toppers Printables for Every Occasion.

13 comments for “Toothpick Painting with Kids

1. Lizette Lopez
    April 2, 2014 at 6:16 pm

Awesome!! I’ve followed for a few years now and this one is quite easy! Thanks for all the inspiration. I have 2 daughters ages 2 and 6 who will turn 3 and 7 soon!

• April 2, 2014 at 6:20 pm

Fabulous! We are so grateful to have readers like you. Can’t wait to see your craftiness with your girls. = )

2. Lori
    April 10, 2014 at 5:39 pm

Awesome! Gonna do this with my kids! 🙂

• April 11, 2014 at 7:48 am

Yay Lori, share your pictures on social media and tag us to be enter to win our giveaway.

3. Jessica
    April 21, 2014 at 9:59 am

Somehow I missed this photo challenge! I’m planning to get SUPER crafty in the next couple days, though, so I’m totally in!

4. June 29, 2014 at 1:39 pm

Hey these are GORRRRGEOUS! How in the world di you come up with these? I mean, it’s the decoupage that truly makes the colors (& the whole project) POP as it dries 😀 Amazing! Thank you for the inspiration. We just got a ton of wood tree slices from our storm last winter and now I know just what to do with them! Thank You Happy Early Fourth July too!

5. Jamie
    February 3, 2015 at 8:40 am

These are so cute. I’m thinking about doing these for my daughters 5th grade school party. Needing to know about how long they take to dry? We only have 1 hr 15 mins before kiddos leave for the day. Would that be enough time? Thanks for share!

• February 4, 2015 at 7:54 am

Hi Jamie, thanks for the great comment. To be safe, I would keep them in the classroom overnight. To make sure they are completely dry, you will need more time than that.

6. Val connolly
    February 10, 2015 at 5:45 pm

Can you use tiles or just wood?

7. Letty
    February 5, 2017 at 4:00 am

Can you do this on a cardboard plate? Or it had to be wood. Thanks

• February 5, 2017 at 2:48 pm

I bet it would work on cardboard!

Comments are closed.