Teaching Kids to be Good People by Annie Fox, M. Ed.: Review and Giveaway

Wow – this book could not be more timely. My daughter is getting ready to start middle school next year and I feel the earth shifting as she matures to the next milestone. My 3.5 year old twins are like sponges and are also in need of good parent modeling. Some days, it seems really overwhelming and frightening, but Annie Fox’s new book, “Teaching Kids to be Good People“, gives me the understanding and strategies to better help my kids be good people.

Teaching Kids to Be Good People

In her new book, Annie has delivered a truly compelling collection of personal narratives, conversation topics, podcast links, and overall guidance on how parents can help kids navigate through the challenges they face and still be good people. Annie covers key topics such as how to manage emotions, doing the right thing (karma), releasing shame and regret, seeing beyond likes and dislikes and developing social courage.

Why is this book so timely and important? Annie summarizes it nicely by reminding us that “our kids are good kids, but they are constantly challenged by the less-than-compassionate standards of their peers with whom they are mind-linked 24/7. Today’s teens suffer from status anxiety at levels no other generation has endured. This compels them to do whatever it takes to fit in, including things they are not particularly proud of.”

The book’s premise is that eight key concepts help define a good child:  Emotional intelligence, ethics, help, forgiveness, compassion, empathy, acceptance, and social courage. The good news is that these are teachable skills. The even better news is that Annie has outlined the dialogue and behavior modeling needed to tackle these topics with our kids.

Annie’s personal narratives make this book read more like a novel that is hard to put down. She had me teary-eyed from the very beginning when she related how her parents showed their emotions (or rather, failed to show emotion) in front of the kids when her Grandpa died . She shared the evolution in emotional understanding when faced with her own parents’ passings and how to help her own kids appreciate and understand vulnerability and the real emotions at play.

From each personal narrative, Annie gives the reader ‘conversations that count’ advice, including questions to frame up to tackle the tough topics and advice she has given others. For me, this book reminded me how important it is to have an open dialogue with your kids and also to model good behavior. We cannot always be there for our kids, but we can give the strong foundation and skills to navigate the peer-group pressures.

On a personal note, I have always appreciated Annie as at Twitter friend and respected her blog insights (and now her books). I challenge you to read “Teaching Kids to be Good People” and reach out to Annie to share your appreciation and any questions.

Giveaway!!!

Annie has graciously offered to  give away 3 digital copies of her book to our loyal followers! To enter, leave a comment below sharing how you will help your kids be good people (even if the answer is ‘to first read Annie’s book’) – one entry per person. I’ll use a random number generator to select 3 lucky winners. Entry deadline is April 3rd.

UPDATE with Winners:  Congratulations to Geri, Rachel and Amy M for being selected to receive a digital copy of Annie’s book.  Everyone is a winner through April 5, 2013, as Annie is offering a free Kindle download through April 5th http://bit.ly/TKkindle

For More Information

For more information, go to http://TeachingKidsToBeGoodPeople.com. This title is available in print and digital versions (and is also available for free loan on Kindle for Amazon Prime Members).

Annie Fox, M. Ed is an internationally respected educator and award-winning author and app developer. Learn more and join the discussion at http://www.anniefox.com/.

Annie Fox, M. Ed.

Disclosure: I received a free copy of this title for review purposes, but the opinions expressed are solely my own.

If you liked this post, and want more, you can subscribe to be on our mailing list here.

Follow Lynnee’s boards on Pinterest

If you liked this post and want more, you can subscribe to be on our mailing list and make sure to get your free Cupcake Toppers Printables for Every Occasion.

29 comments for “Teaching Kids to be Good People by Annie Fox, M. Ed.: Review and Giveaway

1. March 29, 2013 at 10:24 am

I am going to read her book! Thanks for the entry to win one!

• March 29, 2013 at 12:34 pm

Hi Kristina,

Thanks for reading Lynnee’s review of Teaching Kids to Be Good People and for leaving a comment. We all want to feel proud of the choices our kids make out in the world. Good luck in the contest!

In friendship,
      Annie

• April 5, 2013 at 10:36 am

Sorry you didn’t initially win a copy of my book, Teaching Kids to Be Good People. But guess what?! The book is FREE to EVERYONE through midnight tonight (Friday, April 5th) Please grab your copy and use it well! http://bit.ly/TKkindle (You don’t need to have a Kindle to read the book. It works perfectly on any browser or smart phone or adroid tablet with this free kindle reader app amzn.to/V86vf1

Enjoy!

In friendship,
        Annie

2. Geri
    March 29, 2013 at 10:36 am

I’m going to read Annie’s book.

• March 29, 2013 at 12:36 pm

Hi Geri,

I hope you do read my book. I’ve written it especially for parents who value the development of a moral compass in their children. fyi… here’s the excerpt of Chapter 1 of Teaching Kids to Be Good People>
      http://www.anniefox.com/books/tk_excerpt.html
      Enjoy and happy parenting!

In friendship,
      Annie

3. Lori Lawson
    March 29, 2013 at 10:57 am

I teach my kids to be good people by setting the example!

• March 29, 2013 at 12:38 pm

Hi Lori,

Walking the walk ourselves as we set the example, is, of course, essential to teaching our kids to do the right thing (online and off). Setting the example is made even more powerful when we also talk about ethics and morality and what gets in the way of doing the right thing when we’re with our peers. Kids need specific teaching from us as well as what we model in our own lives.

Good luck with the contest.
      I hope you win!

In friendship,
      Annie

4. Lisa McDonald
    March 29, 2013 at 11:12 am

Of course to read her book. However, I feel as parents we can use anything and everything at our disposal to help us guide our children to be the best they can be. There are so many influences , social media, school, etc that can derail what’s going on in the home that I welcome any help and experiences from other parents.

• March 29, 2013 at 12:40 pm

I agree with you 1000% Lisa! We parents need as many resources as we can get out hands on in this parenting journey we’re on. We need them to understand and counter-balance all the influences that our children are exposed to.

Thanks for weighing in here.
      Good luck!

In friendship,
      Annie

• April 5, 2013 at 10:38 am

Lori, If you’d like to have Teaching Kids to Be Good People as one of the many resources you use in your parenting journey, the book is FREE to EVERYONE through midnight tonight only (Friday, April 5th) Get your copy and use it well! http://bit.ly/TKkindle (You don’t need to have a Kindle to read the book. It works perfectly on any browser or smart phone or adroid tablet with this free kindle reader app amzn.to/V86vf1

Enjoy!

In friendship,
      Annie

5. Rachel
    March 29, 2013 at 1:00 pm

I’d love to read this book! We struggle with how to teach our daughter how to deal with kids at schools, and teachers. I think this would be a big help. Thanks for the chance!

• March 29, 2013 at 6:59 pm

Hi Rachel,
      The social stuff happening to our kids at school is often a struggle for them and for us! We want to help them navigate wisely and with respect for themselves and for others. My book can definitely help you help your daughter.

Good luck with the contest!

In friendship,
      Annie

6. Sarrie Paguirigan
    March 29, 2013 at 7:07 pm

I would love to read this book for ideas to share with parents at my school and to use at school.

• March 29, 2013 at 9:21 pm

Hi Sarrie – Annie is in the Bay Area. You might want to reach out and check when she is in the neighborhood.

• March 30, 2013 at 12:53 pm

Hi Sarrie, Thanks for your interest in Teaching Kids to Be Good People. I am in the Bay Area, and frequently visit schools to do student assemblies, teacher trainings and parent education events. If you’re interested in talking, here’s where you can connect with me: http://www.anniefox.com/contact.html

Enjoy your weekend and good luck with the contest!

In friendship,
      Annie

• April 5, 2013 at 10:39 am

Sarrie, you can download a free copy of Teaching Kids to Be Good People right now (thru midnight tonight only) Ere’s the link: http://bit.ly/TKkindle

Enjoy the read!
      In friendship,
      Annie

7. Lianne
    March 30, 2013 at 3:11 am

I’d love to read Annie’s book to get some ideas to share with my grandsons and my kindergarten class. Such an important topic in this day and age!

• March 30, 2013 at 12:55 pm

What a very tuned in Grandma you are! Here’s the first Chapter of Teaching Kids to Be Good People: http://www.anniefox.com/books/tk_excerpt.html it will give you plenty of ideas for sharing the concepts with kids of all ages!

In friendship,
      Annie

8. Amy C
    March 30, 2013 at 2:16 pm

Excellent review – makes we want to buy and read it now!

• March 30, 2013 at 4:29 pm

Hi Amy – It’s great to see your name pop up! Thanks for commenting!

9. March 31, 2013 at 1:59 pm

Hi Amy, If the title draws you in (with Lynnee’s thoughtful review to help) I’m sure you will really enjoy Teaching Kids to Be Good People. You and your family will benefit from it, I’m sure.

In friendship,
    Annie

10. Damon
    March 31, 2013 at 2:04 pm

As a karate teacher, parents expect me to ensure the good character development of my young students, and I’m always on the lookout for new resources to help me do my job better.

• April 5, 2013 at 10:32 am

Thank you for being a teacher… Karate is a wonderful practice for kids to learn about self-reliance and about respect for themselves and others. My book, Teaching Kids to Be Good People would be an excellent resource for you and for the parents of your students. It is FREE through midnight tonight (Friday, April 5th) Please grab your copy and use it well! http://bit.ly/TKkindle (You don’t need to have a Kindle to read the book. It works perfectly on any browser or smart phone or adroid tablet with this free kindle reader app amzn.to/V86vf1

Enjoy!

In friendship,
      Annie

11. Amy Jensen
    April 1, 2013 at 7:52 am

I would love to read Annie’s book! Thanks.

• April 5, 2013 at 10:41 am

Amy Jensen, you get your wish! Here’s your free copy of Teaching Kids to Be Good People (this link is only good thru tonight (April 5th) midnight.

http://bit.ly/TKkindle

Happy Parenting!
      Annie

12. Amy M
    April 1, 2013 at 11:51 am

I try and help my kids be good people by using life’s challenges as “teachable moments” and also I try my best to set the example. I am human though, and have been known to make mistakes.;) When I do, I try to own them and make amends. This book sounds like a wonderful resource for all parents. Thanks for reviewing and sharing. Hope I win!

13. Beckie
    April 2, 2013 at 9:49 pm

Your book sounds like the gentle reminder I need to pursue more communication with my 13 year old son. He loves to visit with me. This resource sounds like the perfect way to make sure his values and emotions are headed in the right direction, even when no one is watching.

14. Tami
    April 4, 2013 at 5:12 pm

I could really use your book. My youngest daughter has been living with her older sisters illness for most of her life. My middle daughter has had 11 brain surgeries in the past 7 1/2 yrs. due to this, my youngest daughter has had difficulty with anxiety. I am hoping reading your book, will help her not to worry and become the best person, I know she can be! Thank you for your help in making our children be all we know they can be!

Comments are closed.