Snowman Mason Jar Luminary Ornament

Disclaimer: this post is sponsored by DecoArt. All opinions, ideas, and images are completely my own.

Snowman Mason Jar Luminary Ornament with DecoArt Decou-Page

You don’t need snow to know that the holidays are here. And you don’t need snow to make a cute snowman!

You will love this holiday mason jar craft idea which doubles as a cute ornament, holiday decoration, or glowing luminary.

On one of my recent trips to Michaels, I picked up a bag of Frosty Snow®, which is a fluffy plastic material made to emulate snow for crafting with. I also picked up some mason jars, large red pom poms, red and white pipe cleaners, black buttons, and some orange air dry clay.

For this easy craft idea, I also used my glue gun, a sponge brush, a decorative mason jar lid, and one of my favorite craft materials – Americana Decou-Page.

Snowman Mason Jar Luminary Holiday Ornament Craft Idea

I usually use Decou-Page to apply and seal paper to something, but I knew it would be the perfect thing to create my “snowy” snowman mason jar.

To make the snowman mason jar luminary ornament, start with a cute snowman face.

Mold a carrot shaped nose with orange air-dry clay, like Model Magic. Use a glue gun to attach your “carrot” nose and two black buttons on the front of your jar to make the snowman face.

Snowman Mason Jar Luminary Ornament Tutorial @clubchicacircle

Then it’s time to make it snow!

Using a sponge brush, apply a THICK coat of Decou-Page on the outside of the jar.

Don’t worry, the Decou-Page dries clear, and the thicker the better. You want the Frosty Snow nice and fluffy on the outside of the jar. The thicker the layer of Decou-Page, the more Frosty Snow will stick to it.

Snowman Mason Jar Luminary Ornament DIY @clubchicacircle

Then, sprinkle on a thick layer of Frosty Snow on the outside on top of the Decou-Page. I did it over a plate, so that the excess could fall onto it. I also used my hand in places to pat down the Frosty Snow as I coated the whole jar.

Your jar should be covered with “snow”. Let it dry and move on to making earmuffs on the lid.

Snowman Mason Jar Luminary Ornament with Frosty Snow

To make the cute earmuffs, cut a red and white pipe cleaner in half and twist them together to make a candy cane pattern. Mold them into a “U” shape that fits the width of the lid.

Using your glue gun, apply each end of the twisted pipe cleaner and the two large red pom poms on the outer edge of a mason jar lid. You can use the one it comes with. I just love the decorative ones that I bought through Pick Your Plum.

Snowman Mason Jar Luminary Ornament Craft

Place your earmuff decorated lid on the top of your dried snowman mason jar, and you are finished!

Add a battery-operated candle light to make it glow.

Snowman Mason Jar Luminary Holiday Ornament Craft

Lovely!

You can use it as an ornament on a really strong branch of a tree, or these would look greatly lined along a fireplace mantel.

Snowman Mason Jar Luminary Ornament Craft idea

They make a great holiday home decor or just a fun kids craft idea!

And to really get your in the Holiday crafting spirit, check out these fabulous Holiday ornament ideas from some of my fellow DecoArt bloggers! 

Happy Crafting!

If you liked this post, and want more, you can subscribe to be on our mailing list here, and make sure to get your free Cupcake Toppers Printables for Every Occasion.

Feeling social? Follow ChicaCircle on Facebook or Twitter, and follow me on Pinterest or Instagram.

Disclaimer: this post is sponsored by DecoArt. All opinions, ideas, and images are completely my own.

If you liked this post and want more, you can subscribe to be on our mailing list and make sure to get your free Cupcake Toppers Printables for Every Occasion.

26 comments for “Snowman Mason Jar Luminary Ornament

1. kate
    December 4, 2013 at 7:24 pm

Adding this to the birthday party along with the snowflake shirt — great crafty winter birthday fun! Thank you, thank you!

• December 5, 2013 at 10:03 am

Love it! Sounds like it is going to be a fabulous party!

2. Rain
    December 7, 2013 at 10:20 pm

I saw your idea, loved it and intended on making one (or two or three…) but, I didn’t have the “snow” or mason jars and was wanting to get started on a fun snowman craft, so I made a clear glass ball ornament into a snow man. I poured glue mixed with just a few drops of water into the ball, rolled the ball around to coat the entire inside, added Epsom salt, rolled and shook it to again coat the inside. Then I painted a face on the outside of the ball and added some earmuffs. I think it came out very cute. Instead of hanging it on our tree though, I think I may make some more, personalize each one and put them into a holiday themed tin bucket to give as a gift.
    I like that you can light up your snow man though, so I may still try to do these, but I think I would use different sizes of mason jars to represent each member of my family.

• December 8, 2013 at 10:36 am

Great idea Rain. That is another fun twist on decorating a mason jar and making it look “snowy”.

3. December 9, 2013 at 7:08 pm

What a cute idea, I love how this turned out. Might have to try this. Thanks for sharing.

4. Pingback: Snowman Mason Jar Luminary - I Love DIY
  5. star
    December 17, 2013 at 1:49 pm

where can i find the lids with the cute cut outs

• December 17, 2013 at 2:28 pm

Hi Star,
      I bought mine at PickYourPlum.com, but you can also find them here on Amazon. You can sometimes find them at your local craft store too. Hope that helps.

6. Amanda
    December 17, 2013 at 9:38 pm

What size Mason jars did you use? These are adorable!

• December 17, 2013 at 11:12 pm

Thanks Amanda! I used pint sized mason jars.

7. Sharon
    May 13, 2014 at 3:09 pm

Love your idea of the mason jar snowman.

8. pam
    November 2, 2014 at 6:58 pm

I AM EXCITED ABOUT YOUR CLUB. IT WILL BE FUN TO GET IDEAS YEAR AROUND. I AM GLAD I JOINED. PAM

9. Karen
    November 19, 2014 at 7:11 pm

Could you use ModPodge instead of the DecoPage? thanks.

• December 6, 2014 at 11:27 am

Absolutely! That would work perfect!

10. Melinda
    December 6, 2014 at 7:08 am

Is there some different glue I could use? Im 35 min away from a craft store. I have everything in my house but the glue. My daughter is very excited to make this!!

• December 6, 2014 at 11:28 am

Hi Melinda, great question. You could use Mod Podge or even Elmer’s white school glue would probably work. Something that would normally dry clear.

11. Ann Bradford
    October 25, 2015 at 8:13 am

Do you think Loctite Adhesive spray might work? I already have some on hand. But if it won’t work, I will surely buy the other! I can’t wait to make this cute project!

• October 27, 2015 at 1:38 pm

It may work, but what I like about the decoupage is that you can put it on thick and it gives the flakes something to stick to.

• Ann Bradford
        November 2, 2015 at 7:08 am

Thanks! You are right… working and working WELL are two different things!!! I will definitely get the right stuff…

12. vicky dignall
    October 26, 2015 at 2:41 am

I love these… Im going to make these but insted of a light im going to fill them with candy and hand them out to friends…

13. S. Lopez
    November 22, 2015 at 1:24 am

I love this. I’m going to make this with my grandson, and he can give them out as gifts.

14. Janis Reeves
    October 16, 2016 at 5:51 am

I have this on my Elf on a Shelf idea list. Our Elf is very crafty. One question…did you let the carrot nose dry over night before gluing it on?

• October 16, 2016 at 1:06 pm

How fun! Yes, I did let the orange nose dry first. It honestly didn’t take long, about an hour in the open air. Happy Crafting!

15. Ashly Baumgard
    November 18, 2016 at 1:48 pm

Made today on a blizzard day!

Comments are closed.