Pot of Gold Rainbow Painted Candy Jar

As part of the DecoArt core blogger team, this post is sponsored in part by DecoArt.
All photographs, ideas and opinions are completely my own.

Pot of Gold Rainbow Painted Mason Jar Craft Ideas

Who doesn’t want to find a little chocolate at the end of a rainbow?

St. Patrick’s Day is coming up next month, and this super easy homemade gift idea is perfect to spread a little lucky cheer. I turned a pint-sized mason jar into a pot of gold with a pretty rainbow coming out of it. And what would you find in my pot of gold? Gold-wrapped chocolate, of course! I used Rolo’s, but mini-Snickers or mini Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups would work too.

I created this fun video to show you how I made it. And see the full instructions below.

Here is my full supply list:

• Pint Mason Jar (try to find one without at least one side that has no design on it)
  • DecoArt Glass Paint Markers in red, orange, yellow, green, blue and purple
  • Black balloon
  • Scissors
  • Gold decorative washi tape
  • Gold-wrapped candy
  • Free printable (download below)

Rainbow Mason Jar St. Patrick's Day Homemade Gift Craft Idea

The first step is to paint the rainbow on the front of your jar. I freehanded my rainbow design starting from the bottom of the jar and curving up slightly to the top lip of the jar. The paint markers are so easy to use.

After I let the glass paint dry for 8 hours, I baked my jar in a 450 degree oven for 40 minutes to set it. The glass painted jar is dishwasher-safe now.

Rainbow Glass Painted Jar for St. Patrick's Day

Then I used a black balloon, that I cut the tip off of (the part where you blow in), and wrapped it on the bottom of my jar.

I filled my new “pot of gold” jar with gold-wrapped chocolates.

Rainbow Glass Painted Mason Jar

I created two mason jar lid printable designs that you can use on the top of your jar to complete the pot of gold St. Patrick’s gift. And for one extra fancy detail, I applied gold decorative washi tape along the edge of my mason jar lid.

Rainbow Mason Jar for St. Patrick's Day

You can download the free printables here:

St. Patrick’s Day Candy Mason Jar Printable

Pot of Gold Mason Jar Candy Homemade gift

Simply download and print out on cardstock paper and cut out to fit on the top of your mason jar. Sandwich it between the top lid and the screw-on lid.

Now you have the perfect pot of gold St. Patrick’s Day homemade gift idea! You can also find free St. Patrick’s Day candy bar printables here.

St. Patricks Day Free candy bar printable

You may also like these other fun St. Patrick’s craft for kids:

Make and set your own rainbow leprechaun trap:

homemade leprechaun trap for kids

Accessorize with rainbow painted bobby pins:

painted rainbow bobby hairpins craft idea

Or make some easy shamrock candy dishes:

Shamrock candy dish paper and mod podge craft

Enjoy!

pauline-sig

As part of the DecoArt core blogger team, this post is sponsored in part by DecoArt.
All photographs, ideas and opinions are completely my own.

Pauline Molinari

I'm the crafty maven, and I'm on a mission to spread craftiness. With a fine arts degree, over 15 years experience in children's publishing, and a savvy, stylish, sassy tween daughter, I come armed with perspective and passion to inspire tween girls and their mothers to be crafty together. 

If you liked this post and want more, you can subscribe to be on our mailing list and make sure to get your free Cupcake Toppers Printables for Every Occasion.

4 comments for “Pot of Gold Rainbow Painted Candy Jar

1. February 24, 2015 at 10:11 am

oh how i heart these! and the balloon is GENIUS! :>D

2. Carol Frazer
    February 24, 2015 at 10:32 am

I used gallery glass on recycled jars with lids and the bottom I used electricians tape.
    I always use what I have before going and purchasing other supplies.
    Think “out of the box” crafters!

3. March 6, 2015 at 2:01 pm

Cute ideas! And great tutorial! I’d love to invite you to link up to my Friday Favorites linky party!

4. kendell
    August 9, 2015 at 1:18 am

Thank you for sharing your files, they are appreciated

Comments are closed.