Ombre Valentine Rice Jar Gift Idea

I’m so excited to introduce the first in our series from our new group of contributors! This super cute craft idea would make a great homemade gift idea! Enjoy and happy crafting! – Pauline

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello everyone! I am so excited to be here today to share with you my Pink Ombre Rice Jars! My name is Marti and I blog at Sewlicious Home Decor. I blog about home decor crafts/diy’s, sewing tutorials, and recipes!

I was lead to Club Chica Circle by their post Cake In A Can Birthday Surprise. It’s an adorable way to bake a cake using recycled cans. My daughter is 6 months pregnant and I was looking for something I could mail to her that was chocolate because she lives in another state and is having major chocolate cravings!! So this Cake In A Can Birthday Surprise gave me the idea to make a S’mores in a Can and it was something I could even mail to her! I used a fruit can and baked a S’more in it, put a shipping label right on the can and shipped it to her. She loved it, I loved it, and I am so glad I found Club Chica Circle and am here with you today!

I wanted to give you a little history about me. Now here is the tutorial on how to make these cute Ombre jars using rice! I hope you enjoy it!! 🙂

Ombre Valentines Rice Jars at sewlicioushomedecor

These jars will go perfect with your Valentine theme and can be made for less than $5! For that price you can make several for friends and family.

Ombre Valentine Jars sewlicioushomedecor

All you need is a jar, rice, and food coloring…which can be found at the Dollar Store!

Ombre Valentine Ric Jars at sewlicioushomedecor

I even found these cute labels at the Dollar Store!

Here’s the easy tutorial!

First, you need to fill your jar full of rice so you will know exactly how much rice you’re going to need. Measure out how much rice you used to fill your jar and divide that by 3. I used 4-1/2 cups to fill my jar, so I divided that by 3 and got 1-1/2 cups. Place each amount into separate bowls. So you will have 3 bowls all with the same amount of rice. Each of my bowls contained 1-1/2 cups.

STEP 1: Your first bowl of rice you will not color.

STEP 2: Add a drop or 2 of food coloring to your second bowl of rice and mix it well.

STEP 3: Add 3 or 4 drops to the third bowl and mix it well.

I used my favorite go to food coloring AmeriColor-Fuchsia Pink, but if you don’t have this brand you can use regular red food coloring.

Experiment with the food coloring and start out by adding only a drop to see how you like the color. You can always add more!

So now that you have 3 bowls of rice, all a different shade, pour each bowl of rice into the jar. I started with the darker pink rice them poured the light pink rice over it and the plain rice over that and added a candle on top.

STEP 4: Using a heart shape cut out a heart from scrapbook paper and glue onto the front of the jar and add a pretty gift tag.

Ombre Valentines Day Jars sewlicioushomedecor

Here are a few other Valentine crafts you may like!

Valentine Buralp Tin Cans

Red Valentine-Tin-Cans-with-Burlap-Perfect-gift-ideas-sewlicioushomedecor

Confetti Valentine Jars

Pink Confetti-Glitter-Valentine-Mason-Jars-sewlicioushomedecor.com_

and if you’re looking for something to sew….check out how I turned an Oreo Baggie into a Zipper Baggie!

It’s perfect for kids snacks or school supplies!

a food-safe-Oreo-Baggie-at-sewlicioushomedecor.com

It was a pleasure being here today!

new top banner with needle

If you liked this post and want more, you can subscribe to be on our mailing list and make sure to get your free Cupcake Toppers Printables for Every Occasion.

1 comment for “Ombre Valentine Rice Jar Gift Idea

1. February 20, 2015 at 5:52 pm

Such a lovely inexpensive centerpiece. I’ll bet you could use different colors. Blue for a summer beach feel?

Comments are closed.