Mourning a Sister

I have always been a huge believer in the power of words and inspirational sayings. I always like to add a little saying or pretty printable to a homemade gift to make it more special. Currently, my family has been going through one of the toughest and most heartbreaking times of our lives. Lynnee and I started this blog together as sisters and mothers of tween girls. ClubChicaCircle has been about the four of us and the bond we share. That bond has been needed even more lately.

Recently, our younger sister Erica or “Auntie Erica” passed away. Our crafty inspirations and blog adventure has been about being creative and taking the fear out of trying new things. The honest truth is that I am finding it difficult to find my crafty passion during this time of deep mourning.

I write this post, first, to explain my absence for the past few week for any new DIY’s or craft ideas. I also write this post, second, to honor the sister who struggled so much, but tried so hard, to stay positive and inspired.

You are loved

You see, she suffered for many years from depression and anxiety. I truly believe that depression is a disease, and one that affects the WHOLE family. I will never know the thoughts and demons she struggled with in her lowest moments, but after revisiting her life and cleaning out her apartment, I can tell you she fought and fought hard against them. She filled every corner and wall with family pictures and inspirational sayings to keep her going. I even found many traces of some of the inspirational printables I have shared on this very site, like this “You are Amazing” one and this Inspirational Journal printables one.

Another way she kept her mind on the positive was with her many DIY projects. Creating art and building something with your hands can heal and help clear your mind. She took great pride and joy in finding a piece of furniture in the alleys in the neighborhood in which she lived, and transforming them into something special. That has always been one of my great joys when I am crafting a project, from upcycling a cabinet door into a cool chalkboard, or turning a dollhouse into an herb garden.

hope whispers

I will be crafty again soon. I know it will have healing properties for me too. I even rescued some of her DIY projects that she was in the middle of and plan to build upon them and share them here.

My wish for all of you is to find the joy in creating, to love and honor those most dear to your heart, and to give your loved ones a great big hug next time you see them. You never know when life throws you a curve ball – good or bad.

believe in tomorrow

My advice? Live in the present, love with all your heart, and please, please, please make someone smile today.

bedard girls

We miss you Auntie Erica and the light and happiness you brought to our lives.

xoxo

pauline-sig

Pauline Molinari

I'm the crafty maven, and I'm on a mission to spread craftiness. With a fine arts degree, over 15 years experience in children's publishing, and a savvy, stylish, sassy tween daughter, I come armed with perspective and passion to inspire tween girls and their mothers to be crafty together. 

If you liked this post and want more, you can subscribe to be on our mailing list and make sure to get your free Cupcake Toppers Printables for Every Occasion.

26 comments for “Mourning a Sister

1. Allison
    May 15, 2015 at 10:21 am

I am so sincerely sorry for your loss and for what your family is facing right now. Sisters are such special people that are forever in our hearts. I am sure she was proud of the blog and the memories you guys made together with the DIY projects, etc. Depression is a horrible thing and my sister fights it w all of her might as well. Please know you have so many fans and readers that are supporting you through every second of this. God bless you guys and take care. Much love-Allison

2. Lora Cotton
    May 15, 2015 at 10:38 am

I am so VERY sorry for your loss!!! Being a bi-polar sufferer myself, I can fully understand some of what your sister went through. My prayer is that YOUR courage to share this painful event with your readers will bring more awareness to mental health issues and help to get them out of the closet! May God Bless!

3. May 15, 2015 at 10:43 am

Pauline, Lynnee, I’m so sorry for your loss. I know there is nothing for me to say that will make your loss easier but know that I am sending you my love and support.

4. Carol
    May 15, 2015 at 10:46 am

I am very sorry for your loss and am lifting you all up in prayers.

5. LakeladyP
    May 15, 2015 at 10:47 am

My deepest condolences on your loss. I can tell that your dear Auntie Erica knew she was loved. Heaven must have needed a special angel.

6. Vickie
    May 15, 2015 at 10:52 am

May God give you all comfort, guidance and strength today and in the days ahead!
    Love and prayers

7. Kelly R
    May 15, 2015 at 11:25 am

What a beautiful and loving tribute to your sister. May you find strength and peace in the days ahead.

8. esther blankenzee
    May 15, 2015 at 11:28 am

i am ferry sorry for your los. i know wath a depression can do to a person and his family.
    and i know wath crafting can be a helpfull therapie.

i wish u all the time and love you kneed to get to the point that you can craft again.
    with kind reggards esther

9. Judy
    May 15, 2015 at 11:29 am

So sorry to hear about the loss of your younger Sister. May you find some comfort and peace with your memories of her. God Bless You

10. May 15, 2015 at 11:32 am

I’m so sorry for your loss. I’ve found the loss of someone dear can create a void where the loss of their physical presence is felt keenly. But I believe our loved ones who have returned to their Heavenly home become the angels that watch over and help those they loved here on Earth. I pray you may feel an all encompassing peace and comfort which I believe can only come from the Savior of the world, Jesus Christ.

I love this quote, “When someone you love has gone to Heaven, a little bit of Heaven is in your home.”

11. Brenda
    May 15, 2015 at 11:36 am

I am so sorry. I lost a brother to a horrible accident. Your sweet sister overflowed with so many lovely indications of the beauty that was within her. Sometimes those who carry so much poignantly beautiful kindness cannot cope with the ugliness in this world. She exuded a lovely spirit. I pray that especially in this messed up time you are drawn closer to a loving God who is ready to take you up in His arms, hold you close to His breast, breathe His strength, His peace, His wholeness, His healing, His everlasting joy and hope into your weary spirits. There is another side to all this. He can show you the way to recovering your peace. Thank-you for sharing the beautiful things Erica left for all of us. John 16:33 “These things I have spoken to you, so that in Me you may have peace. In the world you have tribulation, but take courage; I have overcome the world.”

12. Nancy
    May 15, 2015 at 12:32 pm

My dearest Pauline,
    I know your loss and how it feels. I lost my son in 2008 to colon cancer, he was 35y. I’ve learned how to cope, yet my heart still aches. I know we’ll be together again one day but until then I live by his favorite saying, “Never give up”. He willed his original wedding ring to me, I wear it on my right hand.
    I’ll keep you and family in my prayers for peace of heart for that’s where your sister will always be.

13. Nance
    May 15, 2015 at 1:50 pm

Depression has touched our family to many times…
    You are in my prayers and thoughts.
    She knows how much you loved her,
    She knows how much you cared.
    You know the same about her.
    Hugs,
    Nance

14. May 15, 2015 at 2:23 pm

Pauline, I’m so sorry for your loss. You are both in my thoughts.

15. Penny
    May 15, 2015 at 2:47 pm

I am very sorry for your loss, I know there are no words to make this any better, but she is in a better place, and she does not have to deal with the awful battle with depression and anxiety, they are both crippling at times, and I know from experience what she went threw, she is with Jesus now and very happy, when you miss her just talk to her, this helps a lot when you are dealing with a close family or loved one, may GOD bless and keep your family in his loving arms.

16. Carmen
    May 15, 2015 at 3:34 pm

Pauline, I am so very sorry about your sister. I will pray for you and your family! I lost my sister and best friend many years ago and I think about her all the time, it still hurts but it gets easier. I can finally talk about her without crying. Take all the time you need, take care and may God bless you!!!

17. Janet
    May 15, 2015 at 3:48 pm

So sorry. Keep her in your heart. Be peaceful & love yourself.

18. Cathy Wingo
    May 15, 2015 at 5:24 pm

So deeply sorry for your loss. She is in a better place now, happy with her Lord and personal Savior.

19. Linda Prieto
    May 15, 2015 at 5:30 pm

So very sorry for the loss of you sister. Depression and anxiety is indeed an illness. The hard part is no one recognizes it because it is inside you, so you look well to everyone else. I know because I have had both in the past, yet no one would know that by looking at me now. Thank you for posting and sharing about this trying time in your life. Sending many prayers your way.

20. Jeri
    May 15, 2015 at 5:45 pm

I am so sorry for your loss. Your family will be in my prayers.

21. Gabriele
    May 15, 2015 at 6:54 pm

Please accept my condolences. Time will make the pain easier to bear. Keep your chin up, shed a tear as and when you need to and remember you have a lot of people supporting you with loving thoughts and prayers.

22. May 15, 2015 at 7:23 pm

I am so, so sorry for your loss. Prayers for your family.

23. May 15, 2015 at 7:26 pm

I am SO sorry for your loss. I suffer from depression and anxiety myself so I know how horrible it can be. And what I really notice is how personal the struggle is . . . no one experiences it the same. I’ll be praying for your family.

24. Dawn
    May 16, 2015 at 7:48 pm

Hi-I have never written a comment on any blog, but I felt compelled to tell you how sorry I am for your terrible loss. I have been a subscriber to your blog for a few years now and have used many of your craft ideas with my own tween daughter and the youth group at our church. You have a way of inspiring others every day. I hope that you can feel the support and gain strength from so many, even strangers, who are praying for you.

25. Toni
    May 18, 2015 at 11:04 am

My deepest sympathy on your loss. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

26. Karen
    May 19, 2015 at 12:39 am

.l am so sorry for your loss, l also lost my sister and there is not a day l don’t think about her. I also suffer from depression and it is a horrid disease. Hugs and love to you and your family.
    Karen xx

Comments are closed.