Leaf and Flower Petal Wax Paper Votive Candle Holders

Wax paper homemade Nature Votives DIY

I love how beautiful these nature votive candle holders turned out! And they are so easy to make, the kids can help. It involves a couple kitchen supplies, a few pieces of nature, and an iron. These would make a really pretty addition to any Thanksgiving table.

First step – go for a nature walk and collect leaves and flower petals.

This is what I collected recently around my neighborhood. I found the perfect small leaves that had some beautiful Fall color in them, and a rose bush where I collected the fallen flower petals.

Make sure when you collect your leaves, that they are still a bit fresh and not dried out or brittle. This craft would of course work with silk leaves and flower petals, as long as they are thin enough and flexible enough. I wouldn’t use ones that have wires in them or anything.

Leaves and Flower petals for homemade votives

Then these are the basic supplies you will need:

• Wax paper
  • Parchment paper
  • Glass candle holder or small vase

Wax Paper Nature Votive Craft supplies @clubchicacircle

After you have collected your gems from nature, you will need to do a little math. Depending on how big your glass candle holder is, you will need a piece of wax paper that fits the full circumference plus an extra 1/2″, and that is twice the height.

For instance, my small votive candle holder is 2 1/2″ tall and has a circumference of 6″. So I needed to cut a piece of wax paper that is 5″ x 6 1/2″. I used my X-acto knife and a straight edge on a self-healing mat to cut my wax paper rectangles for each candle holder.

Wax Paper Nature Votive Craft step 1

Once you have your cut pieces of wax paper, fold them in half lengthwise and sandwich your petals and leaves in between. Make a nice straight fold crease edge.

Position them how would like to see them shine through a candle. This is what is going to wrap around your glass vase.

How to make leaf and flower petal wax paper votives @clubchicacircle

Then place your wax paper onto a hard surface (I used a hard piece of plywood) in between a layer of parchment paper. With a hot dry iron, I used consistent pressure to melt the wax paper. The parchment paper acts as a protective barrier for the iron and your surface since it doesn’t melt.

You only need a couple of seconds to melt the wax paper. The melted wax paper will sandwich and secure the petals and leaves in between the top and bottom layer.

Nature wax paper votives DIY craft

Then, simply wrap around your glass votive and secure with a piece of tape.

I used a double-sided tape roller, but a clear piece of tape will work too.

Fill with your vase with a candle and extra glass baubles if desired.

Wax Paper Flower Petal and Leaf Votives

Then style as desired. For instance, I placed two of them on a rectangle charger plate with more glass stones.

Flower Petal and Leaf Wax Paper Votives Craft Idea

As the candlelight shines through, you see the glow through the flower petals and leaves.

Leaf and Flower Petal Easy Wax Paper Votive craft

This handmade luminary sleeve is the perfect way to dress up any candle. And it’s so easy to change out and make different luminary candle wax paper sleeves.

It even looks great with smaller votive candle holder and a battery operated candle.

homemade leaf wax paper votive craft

These would look great just placed all down the middle of your Thanksgiving table, or on a mantel shelf.

So go for a walk, and get the whole family involved in make this beautiful and simple nature craft idea!

Happy crafting!

If you liked this post, and want more, you can subscribe to be on our mailing list here, and make sure to get your free Cupcake Toppers Printables for Every Occasion.

Feeling social? Follow ChicaCircle on Facebook or Twitter, and follow me on Pinterest or Instagram.

Pauline Molinari

I'm the crafty maven, and I'm on a mission to spread craftiness. With a fine arts degree, over 15 years experience in children's publishing, and a savvy, stylish, sassy tween daughter, I come armed with perspective and passion to inspire tween girls and their mothers to be crafty together. 

If you liked this post and want more, you can subscribe to be on our mailing list and make sure to get your free Cupcake Toppers Printables for Every Occasion.

9 comments for “Leaf and Flower Petal Wax Paper Votive Candle Holders

1. Allison Burke
    November 26, 2013 at 7:22 am

I just adore your ideas and everything about your blog! It makes me smile to see an e-mail come through to my inbox from you–i always know there is going to be a great new project w/in the email for me and my daughter (11 yrs old)to do 🙂 – Thanks!!!

• November 26, 2013 at 12:40 pm

Thanks Allison! So glad you and your daughter can share the craftiness!

2. fran
    November 26, 2013 at 11:19 am

I think they are lovely and would make nice gifts. Would be nice to have on hand, just in case you might need a gift. A set of two would be perfect.

• November 26, 2013 at 12:41 pm

Great gift idea! Would make beautiful hostess gifts. Thanks for the great comment Fran.

3. Tricia
    November 10, 2014 at 12:44 pm

I love this idea and was wondering if you used a picture with the leaves in between wax paper if it would also work? Thanks, new to the site and love it so far!!

• November 10, 2014 at 2:38 pm

I bet that would work! What a great idea!

4. Cathy
    February 22, 2015 at 5:26 am

Hi, love this idea! How long do they last? Will the pedals or leaves fad or dry out? Or does the wax paper prevent this?
    Thank you,
    Cathy

• February 23, 2015 at 2:42 pm

Hi Cathy,
      Actually, they don’t fade. I still have these original wax paper votives that I made over a year ago, and they still look great!

5. Jen
    November 17, 2017 at 3:15 am

WOW!!! So beautiful and delicate! I love your design! Those gentle flower petals are so cute! Love love love 🙂

Comments are closed.