How to Make Homemade Lip Gloss

When my girl recently turned 11, one of the fun crafts the girls did at her spa sleepover party was to make homemade lip gloss. The recipe is super easy and perfect for a group of girls! This simple craft was a perfect spa party activity.

All you need is a jar of Vaseline and flavored, no-sugar added, Kool-Aid packets to make this cool craft. I used the 3.75 oz jar of Vaseline. This size jar of Vaseline made 12 individual lip glosses—two per girl.

The girls will also need an empty container to put your homemade lip glosses into. I found small, screw-top, colorful empty containers at Walmart in the travel section of the beauty aisle.

Homemade Lip Gloss

Each of the girls at the party received two empty containers and two plastic cups, along with craft sticks, to mix their lip glosses in. Then, I let them each pick two different flavors of Kool-Aid.

homemade lip gloss party craft setup

I spooned the Vaseline into a microwave-safe bowl and microwaved it in 1 minute intervals. After each minute, I stirred it until it was liquid form.

CAUTION! The bowl and the Vaseline get really, really hot. Make sure an adult handles the melting part!

Then I evenly divided the liquid Vaseline mixture into separate plastic cups. The girls then added some of the Kool-Aid pack to it and stirred it together with the craft sticks. They used about 1/2 envelope pack per lip gloss.

While mixing, it turns back into gel form pretty quickly. Then the girls scooped the homemade flavored lip gloss into containers, using their craft sticks as spatulas.

How to make homemade lip gloss slumber party craft @clubchicacircle

Tweens making homemade lip gloss at slumber party @clubchicacircle

I laid out small 1″ circle sticker labels on the table, along with decorative stickers and Sharpie markers. The girls labeled their lip gloss containers with the stickers and decorated them to their liking.

Homemade Lip Gloss party craft idea

Now, my daughter carries her homemade lip gloss everywhere she goes. It was a huge spa party hit!

Some other ideas for flavoring your lip gloss are to try cocoa for a chocolate flavored delight, or vanilla extract for a yummy vanilla balm.

Try making your own fruity-flavored lip balm with your tween.

Here is another great girl’s slumber party craft idea. I love these cool braided t-shirt headbands from Crafts by Amanda!

tshirt braided-headband craft for kids

Enjoy and happy crafting!

If you liked this post, and want more, you can subscribe to be on our mailing list here.

Feeling social? Follow ChicaCircle on Facebook or Twitter, and follow me on Pinterest or Instagram.

Save

Pauline Molinari

I'm the crafty maven, and I'm on a mission to spread craftiness. With a fine arts degree, over 15 years experience in children's publishing, and a savvy, stylish, sassy tween daughter, I come armed with perspective and passion to inspire tween girls and their mothers to be crafty together. 

If you liked this post and want more, you can subscribe to be on our mailing list and make sure to get your free Cupcake Toppers Printables for Every Occasion.

34 comments for “How to Make Homemade Lip Gloss

1. Susie
    February 24, 2013 at 1:45 pm

How do you make it

2. lisa
    May 9, 2013 at 6:02 am

Hi there, these would make really cute gifts… and seems simple enough, but where would you buy the containers to put the finished lip gloss in?

• May 9, 2013 at 6:25 am

I found our in the travel/beauty section at my local Walmart.

3. achu
    August 18, 2013 at 1:49 am

hi,
    In which shop we can get the Kool-Aid packets in india.

• August 18, 2013 at 10:04 am

usually a local grocery store would carry these drink flavor packets

• achu
        August 19, 2013 at 7:56 am

thank you

• achu
          August 19, 2013 at 8:03 am

can we add glitters to it?
          how to add?

• August 19, 2013 at 9:56 pm

hmmm… glitter sounds like a fun idea. I have seen that people have added regular craft glitter into lip gloss – a little goes a long way, but I have never tried it.

• Clarice
        May 12, 2014 at 3:52 am

What if you don’t have the screw on containers can you use old gerber
        containers

• May 12, 2014 at 7:46 pm

That should work for sure! Way to be crafty!

4. kate
    August 18, 2013 at 7:57 am

Several 9 year olds just gave this a try at our house and had a blast! We weren’t able to find little cosmetic pots so we used contact lens cases (with the twist-on lids) instead for a toteable twosome of flavor and shine! The kids especially liked how the unsweetened Kool-aid lends a little sour flavor punch and, if you put in a little more than the recipe above, makes a fun super-sour lip scrub. They are still buzzing about it!

• August 18, 2013 at 10:02 am

Love it! Brilliant idea to use contact containers!

5. achu
    August 19, 2013 at 8:01 am

can we add glitter to it?
    how to add?

6. Anna
    November 20, 2013 at 1:08 pm

Amazing idea! One quick question though – in your pics you show that each girl got 2 plastic cups (for mixing) and 2 small polka dot cups (one red and one blue). What were these small cups used for? Thanks!

• November 20, 2013 at 1:11 pm

You are so observant. Some of the girls used them, and some didn’t. I gave them the smaller ones just in case they wanted to pour the Kool-aid flavors out first to measure how much they wanted. Most of them eyeballed it and poured the Kool-aid right into the larger cup in which I put the melted vaseline in.

7. Ryki
    December 21, 2013 at 10:12 pm

Will this stain their lips? I know when it is spilled on anything kool-aid tends to stain things.

• December 22, 2013 at 1:18 pm

It did give them a little rosy shine, but we didn’t have a problem with the kool-aid lip gloss staining their lips.

8. Wendy Mills
    January 10, 2014 at 8:38 pm

Why do you need to melt the vaseline? I tried this on my own and just stirred in the drink powder into a cup of vaseline squeezed in. It seemed to do ok. What do you think the microwaving will do differently? I am doing this at a spa party at someone else’s house and would rather not use their microwave if at all possible. Also, I have heard of using cooking flavored oil, I guess that would work like the vanilla extract? Thanks for a great idea!

• January 27, 2014 at 12:48 pm

I found that melting the vaseline made it easy to pour and mix in the flavoring thoroughly. You could try and simply mix without melting.

9. Ms. Michele
    January 13, 2014 at 9:07 am

I love this idea. I’m always looking for fun creative ideas for my girls. Thanks for sharing.

10. riya
    January 13, 2014 at 11:49 pm

how can we heat the vaseline except microwave

• January 27, 2014 at 12:47 pm

you can try a double boiler on your stove.

11. February 8, 2014 at 4:11 pm

We just did this craft at my daughter’s 8th birthday party and it was a huge hit! I’ll have to post some pics on my blog or elsewhere, I’m still in the post-party coma. THANKS!

• February 8, 2014 at 6:25 pm

I love it! Thanks so much for the great comment! I’m glad it was a party hit!

12. July 15, 2014 at 4:45 am

Love this. We are doing this for a spa party for our girl scout troop.

13. Olivia
    July 31, 2014 at 5:47 pm

HI there. I just wanted to say that this is a GREAT idea to do at sleepovers. And it really works!

14. achoo
    September 27, 2014 at 8:40 am

where do you get the screw on cups?

• September 28, 2014 at 11:42 am

I found the lip gloss plastic screw on containers at my local Walmart. I found them in the travel beauty aisle.
      Hope that helps.

15. Gina
    January 6, 2016 at 3:20 pm

What if you don’t have any cool-aid packet in your area? Are there any alternates?

• January 18, 2016 at 1:33 pm

You could try flavored gelatin (like Jello) packs too.

16. Liz
    January 13, 2016 at 1:30 pm

Where you buy pink circle labels? I looked everywhere. Thanks.

• January 18, 2016 at 1:31 pm

I found these at my local Paper Source store, but you can find them online here.

Comments are closed.