Homemade Sidewalk Chalk Paint

The sun is out and its time for some backyard fun!

How to make sidewalk chalk paint

This is an evergreen type of kids activity, that they will never grow out of. I first introduced this to my girl 2 years ago, and even though she has gotten more “sophisticated”, this easy outdoor craft activity is still on the list of perfect boredom busting ideas. Besides, aren’t we all getting a little antsy for Summer to be here?

Homemade sidewalk chalk paint takes only 3 ingredients, all non-toxic and safe for kids.

Make your own sidewalk chalk paint with:

• corn starch
  • water
  • food coloring

Kids will have just as much fun making the paint as they will painting with it. You can use a muffin tin to create each color of paint, and an inexpensive set of paintbrushes to paint with.

homemade sidewalk chalk paint craft for kids

Start by putting a tablespoon of cornstarch in each cup. Add some water over the cornstarch. We used about a 2:1 ratio of water and cornstarch. Note: the more cornstarch concentration, the faster the paint will dry on the sidewalk, so play with the ratio a little bit for your own preference. Finally, add a few drops of food coloring in your cornstarch water mixture and get painting!

How to make sidewalk chalk paint for kids

As you paint with your homemade sidewalk chalk paint, the colors dry on the sidewalk. They will be lighter than the color you see in each cup. The more layers you paint on top of each other creates a more opaque look and adds more color.

sidewalk chalk painting with tweens

Here is one of my girl’s masterpieces:

sidewalk-chalk-painting

And I couldn’t help sharing a picture one of my friend sent me of her daughter and friend having their own sidewalk chalk painting adventure.

homemade chalk paint kids summer activity

I LOVE IT!

Whatever age your kids are, they are sure to love this easy and crafty backyard activity—perfect for boredom-busting outdoor play!

Don’t forget to share your crafting adventures with kids and tag us on social media @chicacircle with the hashtag #craftyiscontagious

Take our monthly challenge and win prizes!

Crafty challenge long challenge

For more chalk adventures, try ICE CHALK.

ice chalk boredom busting idea for kids

Or make your own shaped SIDEWALK CHALK.

Homemade heart-shaped sidewalk chalks

If you liked this post, and want more, you can subscribe to be on our mailing list here, and make sure to get your free Cupcake Toppers Printables for Every Occasion.

Feeling social? Follow ChicaCircle on Facebook or Twitter, and follow me on Pinterest or Instagram.

Pauline Molinari

I'm the crafty maven, and I'm on a mission to spread craftiness. With a fine arts degree, over 15 years experience in children's publishing, and a savvy, stylish, sassy tween daughter, I come armed with perspective and passion to inspire tween girls and their mothers to be crafty together. 

If you liked this post and want more, you can subscribe to be on our mailing list and make sure to get your free Cupcake Toppers Printables for Every Occasion.

3 comments for “Homemade Sidewalk Chalk Paint

Comments are closed.