Holiday Gift Box Concrete Block Craft with FrogTape®

This is a Sponsored post written by me on behalf of FrogTape provided by ShurTech Brands, LLC for SocialSpark. All opinions are 100% mine.

Happy Holidays!

Do you decorate the outside of your house for the holidays? This is such a fun time of year to see all of the festive houses both in our neighborhood and just driving around.

Today’s craft idea is a really great way to add some fun holiday decor to the outside of your home. I turned simple concrete blocks into a fun holiday gift boxes. And with the help of FrogTape Textured Surface, it was so easy!

Holiday Home Decor Craft with Frog Tape

What is FrogTape®, you may ask?

FrogTape® for Textured Surfaces is more than just your average painters tape. It is specifically designed to create sharp paint lines on those surfaces that do have some texture, eliminating the bleed through that might occur with other tapes.

Frog Tape® package with magic sealer

It has a unique two step process and, what I like to call, a “magic sauce” that seals your paint edge onto your textured surface.

Think of the design possibilities you could do with this. I know the walls in our home all have textured surfaces, and this tape would be the perfect helper to use when painting them with a design.

And of course, it is perfect for home decor craft projects like this one!

To make this holiday gift box decoration, I started with 8″ x 8″ concrete blocks. I found them at my local Home Depot for less than $1 each!

I also used silver and red metallic spray paint to create the perfect package glimmer.

My goal was to take the dull gray concrete blocks and transform them into sparkly presents wrapped in a pretty bow. I knew I wanted to use them as outside holiday decor, so by using the illusion of paint lines, I knew it be the perfect crafty solution.

The concrete block surface is really textured and uneven and hard to get perfect paint lines. FrogTape® to the rescue!

Frog Tape Cement Brick Holiday Craft Idea supplies

This is how I make the pretty holiday packages:

First, I painted red stripes down the middle of each side of my concrete block. This is what will become the “ribbon” on the “gift boxes”. I didn’t need to make them perfect. I just needed to make sure I had enough coverage and that they were wide enough for a nice fat ribbon stripe.

Then I applied FrogTape® stripes on top of my red painted stripes, making sure there was enough overlap of the red paint on each side. To activate the first step of the FrogTape® process, you need to wet it slightly with a damp cloth. I used a wet paper towel to wipe the outside of the tape stripes.

Next is where the magic happens. The second step in the FrogTape® process is to apply a generous coat of the sealer on the edges of your paint lines and let dry for 15 minutes. There is a special brush applicator that helps.

When the sealer was dry, I finished off with a coat of silver paint on top.

When that was dry, it was time for the big reveal! I removed the tape and added a pretty PVC glittery bow on the top of my holiday box. I used a little glue from my glue gun to attach the PVC bow that I found at my local Big Lots.

Cement Brick Holiday Gift Box Tutorial with Frog Tape®

Can you say gorgeous?

Just look at those lines!

Holiday Gift Box Concrete Block Craft with Frog Tape

These festive holiday gift boxes make the perfect outside holiday decor as you walk up to our house.

Holiday Gift Box Concrete Block Craft Idea

I love how they turned out, and I will definitely be using these every year as part of my outdoor holiday decorations.

This fun and easy craft is the perfect excuse to try out FrogTape Textured Surface.

Enjoy!

pauline-sig

Visit Sponsor's Site

Pauline Molinari

I'm the crafty maven, and I'm on a mission to spread craftiness. With a fine arts degree, over 15 years experience in children's publishing, and a savvy, stylish, sassy tween daughter, I come armed with perspective and passion to inspire tween girls and their mothers to be crafty together. 

Tags:

If you liked this post and want more, you can subscribe to be on our mailing list and make sure to get your free Cupcake Toppers Printables for Every Occasion.

18 comments for “Holiday Gift Box Concrete Block Craft with FrogTape®

1. December 13, 2013 at 11:25 pm

Textured surface sealer?? Amazing. I had no idea about it.
    Very creative way of using concrete blocks. They turned out gorgeous!

2. December 16, 2013 at 10:54 am

It’s Deonna from the Child at Heart blog! I love this post and would love for you to link up to the Merriest Blog Hop and share your creations! I love anything for the outside that doesn’t require electricity!
    http://www.thechildatheartblog.com/2013/12/the-merriest-blog-hop-week-4.html

3. Kayla @ Home Coming
    December 16, 2013 at 1:21 pm

What a cute idea!! I love it. I’d love if you’d link up to The DIY’ers – and don’t forget to enter my giveaway for a free chandelier! http://homecomingmn.blogspot.com/2013/12/the-diyers-42.html

4. December 17, 2013 at 9:57 am

This is a fantastic project! Super clever!

5. December 20, 2013 at 10:38 am

It’s Deonna from the Child at Heart blog! Thank you so much for linking up at the Merriest Blog Hop! You were FEATURED! Yay! Please keep those good ideas coming and grab a button to tell everyone you were featured 🙂

• December 20, 2013 at 10:43 am

Woohoo! Thanks Deonna for the feature! Love it!

6. December 20, 2013 at 3:25 pm

Very clever and fun DIY!

7. ray smith
    November 24, 2014 at 5:52 am

How many cement blocks did you use? I was thinking that it would take 2 8×8 blocks, but you photo looks like its just one piece.

• November 24, 2014 at 8:40 am

I just used one cement block per “gift box”, but I made two separate ones to put on either side of our front door entry.

8. Alexis
    December 5, 2014 at 3:51 pm

Where did u find the frog tape texture sealer? I already tried Walmart, Target, and Home Depot.

• December 5, 2014 at 4:08 pm

hmmm… you should be able to find it in all of those places. Here it is on the HomeDepot website, and you can search if it is in your local stores. Or here it is on Walmart site where you can have it shipped to your local store for pickup. Hope that helps! Happy crafting!

9. Michelle
    December 24, 2015 at 6:27 am

I can’t believe I haven’t seen or heard of this project yet…genius!!

10. Ivory
    November 18, 2017 at 7:27 am

Just came upon your site, and I love this gorgeous idea. So cute and fun. I can see this sitting in our yard this year for Christmas. Thanks for sharing.

Comments are closed.