“Fried” Ice Cream Banana Splits

Disclosure: this post is sponsored in part by Honey Bunches of Oats. All photos, ideas, and opinions are completely my own. 

Fried Ice Cream Banana Split dessert recipe with chocolate sauce

I was recently asked to try out one of the new Summertime recipes found on the Honey Bunches of Oats site, where there are loads of great recipe ideas ranging from the savory to the sweet. Recipes like Crab Cakes with Sriracha-Lime Mayo, Sweet and Savory Mango Spears, Fried Ice Cream with Cinnamon-Chocolate Sauce and Crunchy Sweet Potato Fries with Harissa Ailoi which are perfect for backyard barbeques, family picnics, or just a yummy summer treat!

I was inspired to make the “Fried” Ice Cream with Cinnamon-Chocolate Sauce, but with a few tasty tweaks. I made “fried” ice cream banana splits! Yum!

First, I prepped mini ice cream balls and scooped by vanilla ice cream into a mini muffin pan lined with mini cupcake liners. Then I put them back into the freezer to set for at least 30 minutes.

time saving trick with ice cream

Then it was time to make the yummy “fried” coating.

You will need:

• 1 cup of Honey Bunches of Oats cereal
  • 1/2 cup of shredded coconut
  • 1/4 chili powder
  • 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil

I placed the first three ingredients into a plastic bag and used the back of my measuring cup to crush the ingredients together.

Honey Bunches of Oats Fried Ice Cream recipe

My daughter doesn’t like coconut, so I made two different batches, one with the coconut shavings and one without.

easy fried ice cream recipe with cereal

Then it was time to “fry” it up. In a large skillet, heat up 1 tablespoon of oil and lightly brown the cereal mixture. Pour into a bowl and cool completely.

How to make fried ice cream in a skillet pan

By the time you have made your fried cereal coating and it has cooled, your pre-made ice cream balls should be set.  Roll each ice cream ball into the cereal coating and refreeze to set again before serving.

Easy Fried Ice Cream recipe idea with cereal coating

These would be great to pre-make for a Summer party!

To make “Fried” ice cream banana splits, it’s all about the toppings!

I sliced up strawberries and bananas, and had chocolate sauce and whipped cream on hand.

How to make fried ice cream without frying

Assemble all of the yummy ingredients into a bowl, and you have the yummiest banana splits ever!

Easy "Fried" Ice Cream banana split yummy recipe idea

Yum!

Easy Fried Ice Cream Banana Split recipe

Check out the original “Fried” Ice Cream with Cinnamon-Chocolate Sauce recipe, or many others here.

Enjoy!

pauline-sig

Pauline Molinari

I'm the crafty maven, and I'm on a mission to spread craftiness. With a fine arts degree, over 15 years experience in children's publishing, and a savvy, stylish, sassy tween daughter, I come armed with perspective and passion to inspire tween girls and their mothers to be crafty together. 

If you liked this post and want more, you can subscribe to be on our mailing list and make sure to get your free Cupcake Toppers Printables for Every Occasion.

3 comments for ““Fried” Ice Cream Banana Splits

1. July 10, 2015 at 3:15 am

This looks scrumptious! I’d love for you to link up with us at Friday Favorites!

2. July 10, 2015 at 4:32 pm

Pauline, this is brilliance. I love fried ice cream and haven’t had it for ages. Have threatened to make it but still haven’t. I think adding the banana split aspect is just the kick in the pants I need to get going with it. Yum! Sharing.

3. November 2, 2015 at 1:36 pm

What is better than the banana split in the most of desserts recipes? I like it here very much with the fried ice cream. It will be a new experience for me. Must try….
    Yummy..

Comments are closed.