Father’s Day Pencil Cup Homemade Gift Idea

Father's Day Upcycled Can Pencil Cup Homemade Gift Idea

Father’s Day is just around the corner, and if you are looking for a fun and easy craft for the kids to create, you will love this upcycled can turned into a cool suit and tie pencil holder.

Father's Day Pencil cup supplies

I started with a recycled soup can, some white felt, blue pinstripe fabric, 1/2″ thick coordinating ribbon, buttons, and my handy dandy glue gun.

Truth be told, the blue pinstripe fabric actually from one of my husband’s shirts that he donated to my craft pile after there was a stain on the front that wouldn’t come out, but you can use any fabric swatch. I wanted to use one that had the pattern and look of a man’s shirt. You will need about 10″ x 6″ square of fabric to work with, just big enough to wrap around your recycled can.

And no dress shirt would be complete without a collar, right?

I used a piece of white felt about 9 1/2 ” x 2 1/2″, just long enough to wrap around the circumference of the top of my can. I used my glue gun to attach about a 1″ portion of the felt along the top.

Father's Day Pencil Cup Gift DIY

Then, it was time to build the shirt. I created a “hem” along the top and glued it just up to the edge of my can, right on top of the felt. I started right at the seam of my white felt piece and glued my blue pinstripe fabric all around the can.

Father's Day Pencil Can Craft easy DIY

I finished off by securing one edge of my blue fabric under the other, creating the “front” of the shirt.

Then, I hot glued the remaining fabric on the bottom of my can, gluing one section at a time. I would fold in a section, glue, then repeat until the whole bottom was secure.

Father's Day Pencil Cup homemade gift idea

To clean up the bottom edges, I glued another piece of felt on the bottom. I used my can as a template, and cut out the circle bottom piece with a scissors.

Now for the final details.

I folded down my white felt at the top to create the collar of my shirt, and then applied buttons down the front with little dots of glue.

Father's Day Pencil Cup easy homemade gift idea

The final step is adding a tie. I cut a piece of ribbon about 20″ long and tied it along the top of my can like you would a real tie.

This was one skill my Dad taught me as a kid, and it has come in handy here. After I knotted my “tie” I cut triangle edges along the bottom of my ribbon to resemble the end of a tie.

Father's Day Homemade Pencil Cup craft and gift idea

Um…. so cute!

Now, all you need is to fill this cool pencil cup up with pens and pencils!

Father's Day Homemade Pencil Cup Gift Idea

Dad is going to LOVE it!

Father's Day Suit and Tie Pencil Cup easy craft idea

Seriously, no joke, this was so easy to make, and I love how it turned out.

Enjoy and happy crafting!

If you liked this post, and want more, you can subscribe to be on our mailing list here, and make sure to get your free Cupcake Toppers Printables for Every Occasion.

Feeling social? Follow ChicaCircle on Facebook or Twitter, and follow me on Pinterest or Instagram.

Pauline Molinari

I'm the crafty maven, and I'm on a mission to spread craftiness. With a fine arts degree, over 15 years experience in children's publishing, and a savvy, stylish, sassy tween daughter, I come armed with perspective and passion to inspire tween girls and their mothers to be crafty together. 

If you liked this post and want more, you can subscribe to be on our mailing list and make sure to get your free Cupcake Toppers Printables for Every Occasion.

4 comments for “Father’s Day Pencil Cup Homemade Gift Idea

1. Jess @ Chaos & Love
    June 3, 2014 at 2:39 pm

I love this idea so much! I wish I had a dad or husband that would be into it.

2. June 7, 2014 at 10:26 am

Super cute too! I’d have to have someone else tie the tie, though — I never learned! And I don’t think a regular bow would be appreciated, lol 🙂

3. June 9, 2014 at 12:41 am

My husband would love having my daughter make this for him, it’s not Father’s Day until Sep here in Oz, but am pinning for later. Thanks for sharing on the Monday Funday Party, Rachel

Comments are closed.