Easy Homemade Fabric-Wrapped Bookends

As part of the Make It: Fun Team, this post is sponsored in part by FloraCraft. As always, ALL photographs, ideas, and opinions are my own.

I have absolutely loved being a part of the Floracraft Make It: Fun team for the past six months! Every time I get my box of foam goodies, I am always delighted to see what my crafty challenge will be for the month. Remember the foam heads? That was my first month, and I turned one into cupcake centerpiece stand. A lot of friends and teachers received the Santa and elf hat candy jars over the holidays. But my favorite so far has got to be the rainbow crayon heart wall art that hangs above my bed.

This month’s challenge? Create something with a foam cake foam… that isn’t a cake. Some of my other fellow bloggers turned their cake forms into hearts, like this fabulous feather covered Valentine photo prop or this faux Valentine pinata, or into a cool football utensil holder—just to name a few. So creative!

Well, I turned my cake form into cute fabric wrapped bookends. I love how they turned out, and they were so easy to make!

easy homemade bookends DIY #makeitfuncrafts

Here is what I used to make my homemade bookends:

• 8″ Floracraft® Make It;fun® Cake Form
  • Floracraft® Foam cutter
  • 4″ small gift boxes (I found my in the party/gift section at Target)
  • Decorative Fabric of choice
  • T-pins
  • Ribbon
  • Glue gun
  • Rice
  • Decorative felt flowers (optional)

Homemade bookends supplies

First, I started by cutting my cake foam into halves, and then into quarters.

Cutting foam with Floracraft foam cutter

Next, I cut two pieces of patterned fabric, big enough to wrap two of the foam quarters – about 18″ x 18″. I picked coordinating fabric that matched the gift boxes I picked out. I wrapped each foam quarter with fabric – treating it like a present – making sure all of the sides were smooth, tucking in fabric where needed and pulling it tight around my foam shape—except for one of the bottom edges. Using t-pins, I secured the fabric on one of the straight sides of my foam quarter, securing in place along the way. Once I was happy with how the fabric was wrapped around my shape, I cut off the excess fabric and secured the rest down with more t-pins.

How to use t-pins to wrap fabric on foam

Now, you may be thinking that a one foam quarter is not close to being heavy enough to hold up books. You would be right! That is where the small gift boxes come in. I filled each small gift box with rice for my weight.

Easy Homemade bookends DIY

Then I attached the two together using my glue gun, with the t-pin side down.

Homemade fabric-wrapped bookends tutorial

To finish off the bookends, I wrapped ribbon around my bookend where the fabric-wrapped quarter and the boxes meet, and added some pretty foam flowers on the front that I found in the scrapbooking section of my local Michaels.

Homemade bookends made from cake form and fabric

So pretty! Now they were ready to do their duty, and hold up our family collection of cookbooks.

Easy Homemade bookends with foam cake form #makeitfuncrafts

And so easy to make!

Fabric wrapped homemade bookends using foam cake form #makeitfuncrafts

pauline-sig

As part of the Make It: Fun Team, this post is sponsored in part by FloraCraft. As always, ALL photographs, ideas, and opinions are my own.

Pauline Molinari

I'm the crafty maven, and I'm on a mission to spread craftiness. With a fine arts degree, over 15 years experience in children's publishing, and a savvy, stylish, sassy tween daughter, I come armed with perspective and passion to inspire tween girls and their mothers to be crafty together. 

If you liked this post and want more, you can subscribe to be on our mailing list and make sure to get your free Cupcake Toppers Printables for Every Occasion.

8 comments for “Easy Homemade Fabric-Wrapped Bookends

1. Sharon
    January 28, 2015 at 11:45 am

Really cute, and so easy to customize with different fabrics. I wondered how you weighted them — great idea to use rice. Thank you!

• Penny
      January 28, 2015 at 1:06 pm

you Weight them with the rice she shows you how further down on the page.

2. January 28, 2015 at 11:55 am

love it! great idea nice share thanks

3. Penny
    January 28, 2015 at 1:08 pm

That is so cute, I love it and my mind is all ready turning on all the possibility’s. Thank you.

4. January 28, 2015 at 4:38 pm

That is such a cute idea!! I love the styro cutter…I didn’t know there was such a thing…I’ve got to get me one!! 🙂

• January 28, 2015 at 6:09 pm

Thanks Marti! I don’t what I did before I got a styro-cutter! = )

5. T'onna @ USS Crafty
    February 8, 2015 at 9:33 pm

Cool idea and great fabric!

Navy Wifey Peters @ The Submarine Sunday Link Party

Comments are closed.