Dishwasher-safe Glittery Teacher Appreciation Apple Mug

Red Glitter + Dishwasher-safe Mod Podge = Cool Teacher Gift Idea!

Apple glitter mug homemade teacher gift idea

You wouldn’t think that you could make glitter applied to a coffee mug with Mod Podge dishwasher or even hand-wash safe, but I’m you can! Most decoupages, like Mod Podge, are normally water-based which does NOT make them dishwasher-safe.

Teacher appreciation week is at the beginning of May. I’ve been dying to try the dishwasher-safe version of Mod Podge, and a stenciled glittery apple on a coffee mug for a fun teacher appreciation gift seemed like the perfect craft to try it on.

Here are the supplies I used:

• Mod Podge Dishwasher-safe Gloss Decoupage
  • White coffee mug (I found mine at IKEA)
  • Apple stencils cut out of vinyl (I used my Silhouette to cut them out for me, but you can all hand cut them with an X-ACTO knife)
  • Red glitter (I used Michaels Recollections Cherry red)
  • Sponge brush

Dishwasher Safe Glittery Mod Podge Teacher Appreciation Mug Gift Idea and Craft

With a clean dry mug attach an apple cut-out vinyl stencil on the outside of your coffee mug. I chose to do one stencil on the front and another one on the back of my mug.

If you want to use my stencil, you can download it here: apple outline template

After the stencil template is secure on your mug, add a generous layer of Dishwasher-safe Mod Podge on top, staying inside the lines.

Then sprinkle on a generous amount of red glitter on the top covering the whole area of Mod Podge. Make sure to do it over a paper plate or something you can catch the extra glitter with.

When you are happy with your glitter coverage, carefully peel back your stencil and let mug dry at least 24 hours. Finish up by sealing your glittery apple with another coat over the top and let that set for another 24 hours.

Then fill with treats and give to your favorite teacher.

Mod Podge glitter stenciled apple mug

I filled mine with yummy chocolates, Starbucks VIA packages and yummy marshmallow Hot Cocoa.

And I absolutely love how glittery the red apple turned out!

Mod Podge dishwasher safe glitter mug homemade teacher gift

And the best part is that it won’t rub off when you wash it, by hand or by dishwasher.

Apple coffee mug glittery craft and gift idea

Happy Crafting!

If you liked this post, and want more, you can subscribe to be on our mailing list here, and make sure to get your free Cupcake Toppers Printables for Every Occasion.

Feeling social? Follow ChicaCircle on Facebook or Twitter, and follow me on Pinterest or Instagram.

Pauline Molinari

I'm the crafty maven, and I'm on a mission to spread craftiness. With a fine arts degree, over 15 years experience in children's publishing, and a savvy, stylish, sassy tween daughter, I come armed with perspective and passion to inspire tween girls and their mothers to be crafty together. 

If you liked this post and want more, you can subscribe to be on our mailing list and make sure to get your free Cupcake Toppers Printables for Every Occasion.

5 comments for “Dishwasher-safe Glittery Teacher Appreciation Apple Mug

1. Jessica
    April 9, 2014 at 2:13 pm

LOVE this idea!

2. April 11, 2014 at 8:18 am

Super duper cute!! Glitter makes everything better!

3. Claire
    October 20, 2014 at 11:49 am

Hi… This is a fab idea… I am beginner at this… Vinyl paper? Do you secure it with something before applying layer of podge. I was thinking of getting craft punches would that work with the vinyl paper any tips greatly appreciated. Thanks

• October 20, 2014 at 2:41 pm

Thanks Claire. Normally vinyl paper is self adhesive. You could also use contact paper as an alternative. You basically want something that will act like a stencil on your surface. Hope that makes sense.
      Happy crafting!

• Claire
        October 21, 2014 at 5:29 am

Thanks… I think I have come across the right thing to use…

Comments are closed.