Design Your Own Awesome Coffee Cozy Sleeve and Silhouette Promo

Disclaimer: this post has affiliate links. All ideas, thoughts and images are completely my own.

Make Your Own Awesome Coffee Cozy Sleeve

Ok, I promise, this is completely awesome!

First, I made this custom designed coffee sleeve in about about 5 minutes, after I printed out my designs onto this awesome PRINTABLE COTTON CANVAS from Silhouette.

Yep, I ran these self-adhesive sheets straight through my inkjet printer! The only other supply I needed to make these coffee cozies was sheets of colored felt.

Fun Coffee Cozy Design with Silhouette copy

First I made a coffee sleeve template using Adobe Illustrator, saved it as an .svg file and then imported into my Silhouette Studio Designer program to customize.

You can grab the pdf download of the template here: Coffee Sleeve Cutting Template

The Silhouette Studio Designer software makes it so easy to create your own designs and connect to a ton of fun, super awesome designs in the Silhouette online store.

In the coffee sleeve designs above, I used YOU’RE MY CUP OF COFFEE (Design #55744) and COMPLETELY AWESOME (Design #58851) from the Silhouette online store.

And then I filled my coffee cozy sleeve template with a couple of the preloaded patterned already available in the software.

After I printed out my designs on my printer, there are two ways you can cut them out. If you print your designs from the Silhouette software, you can print with registration marks for the Silhouette machine to recognize and know where to cut out your designs.

I wanted the cut edge of my cotton canvas design to be flush with the felt sheet, so I chose to go the old fashioned way and cut out the two together. (You could cut out the cotton canvas design first, and then place on a felt sheet and cut it to the edge, but you can cut the two of them together in your machine.)

Because the cotton canvas sheets are self-adhesive, I used that to my advantage when creating the coffee cozy. I adhered my coffee sleeve design on top of a color coordinating sheet of felt, with the curved end (about an inch) hanging over.

Then I cut the two pieces together out with a sharp pair of scissors. The inch curved portion that I did NOT adhere to the felt is the flap that attaches to the outside and creates the perfect coffee cozy shape.

How to make an easy homemade coffee sleeve

It is secure and ready to attach to your coffee cup. To make it super secure and more permanent, you can add a little extra fabric glue or adhesive on the flap.

Remember the trick is to make sure you create a curved flap by NOT putting attaching felt to that portion.

Coffee Sleeve craft DIY

When you wrap it around the two straight edges of your felt match up and the tap wraps around it, securing it together.

Silhouette Printable Canvas sheets for coffee sleeves

Once I started, I couldn’t stop. And with Father’s Day right around the corner, these would make really fantastic, quick and easy Father’s Day gifts.

I used these designs from the Silhouette Online store: I HEART MY DAD & Mustache (Design #18726), ONE AWESOME DUDE! (Design #8572).

Mustache Father's Day coffee cozy gift

LOVE IT! Don’t you think DAD would love a little breakfast in bed with a nice hot cup of coffee, with one of these custom designed coffee cozy sleeves?

Easy Homemade Coffee Cozy Craft and Gift Idea

And because you all are MY CUP OF COFFEE, check out this great promotion running now on Silhouette:

Silhouette_may 2014 promo

May 21 – 31, 2014
CAMEO Bundle
Silhouette CAMEO
1 Printable Cotton Canvas
1 Vellum
1 Adhesive Washi Sheets
1 Printable Adhesive Kraft Paper
1 Stencil Material
MSRP: $340.94
Sale: $269.99
Portrait Bundle
Silhouette Portrait

1 Printable Cotton Canvas
1 Vellum
1 Adhesive Washi Sheets
1 Printable Adhesive Kraft Paper
1 Stencil Material
MSRP: $220.94

Sale: $139.99

All Specialty Media 25% off

USE: CLUBCHICA promo code at checkout

Father's Day coffee cozy sleeve gift idea

I absolutely HEART the printable cotton canvas, and I can’t wait to try the printable temporary tattoo sheets or the stencil material on more crafty projects!

Happy Crafting!

If you liked this post, and want more, you can subscribe to be on our mailing list here, and make sure to get your free Cupcake Toppers Printables for Every Occasion.

Feeling social? Follow ChicaCircle on Facebook or Twitter, and follow me on Pinterest or Instagram.

Pauline Molinari

I'm the crafty maven, and I'm on a mission to spread craftiness. With a fine arts degree, over 15 years experience in children's publishing, and a savvy, stylish, sassy tween daughter, I come armed with perspective and passion to inspire tween girls and their mothers to be crafty together. 

If you liked this post and want more, you can subscribe to be on our mailing list and make sure to get your free Cupcake Toppers Printables for Every Occasion.

10 comments for “Design Your Own Awesome Coffee Cozy Sleeve and Silhouette Promo

1. Vicki Davidson
    May 21, 2014 at 11:30 am

Thanks for sharing such awesome looking coffee cozies :-). Great job! I’m inspired! I am buying a machine … hopefully soon … I did a comparison of the Cameo and Explore for myself yesterday as I keep swaying between the 2 but after seeing this I’m probably a Cameo gal! 🙂

Question: what printer are you using? I currently have a ‘Brother’ and it hasn’t been printing well lately on normal paper so I think it probably won’t be too good with this cotton canvas!

Thank you.
    Vicki.

• May 21, 2014 at 12:12 pm

Hi Vicki, thanks for the great comment. Yes, I love my Silhouette. I absolutely love all of the special media that you can print and cut onto too! That’s what pushed me over the edge. About the printer – I use an HP OfficeJet 6500 all-in-one-printer. I have been pretty happy with it. Hope that helps!

2. Jess @ Chaos & Love
    May 21, 2014 at 11:50 am

Um, these are ridiculously cool! I want to make a million of them!

3. Barb
    May 21, 2014 at 12:22 pm

how does the printable canvas hold up? I am thinking of making some armbands for Roller Derby (we get really sweaty though) and printable canvas would allow them to be WAY more fun than just plain old numbers on neoprene! Thanks

• May 21, 2014 at 12:24 pm

The canvas itself is what would expect, nice and sturdy. What a great twist on this craft idea. If you were using it for arm bands, I would add a stronger adhesive on the flap, or sew it with a quick seam at the flap. Love it!

4. May 26, 2014 at 7:01 am

These are super cute and fun, Pauline! Love!

5. Sean
    December 15, 2014 at 8:09 am

These are great. I thought my kids might like to make these for Christmas for their mom. Would it work to print out your template, have my kids draw a design on it, then take it to a print shop and have them print it on the self adhesive canvas? I was thinking that I could then cut it and add the felt. Am I missing something if I do it that way? Let me know. My 7-year-old son doesn’t want “just buy something” for his mom but says he want to “use my creativity.” Thought this might be a way to accomplish that, given my own limited “craftiness” as a Dad.

• December 15, 2014 at 5:43 pm

I love that idea! Yes, you can certainly use my template and have them draw their own design and print it on the adhesive canvas and add the felt. Super crafty!

• Sean
        December 15, 2014 at 7:08 pm

Thanks. I will let you know how it turns out!

Comments are closed.