Cupcake Onesies Gift Idea

Ever since I saw this video from Oh Crafts! on how they made sock cupcakes, I have always loved this cool crafty gift idea. We recently had some friends who had babies, and I knew I had to try a twist on this homemade cupcake gift idea. And of course, I am going to share with all of you!

If you know me, I love to gift homemade gifts. I also wanted a unique way to compliment a gift card for the new parents so that they could pick out something personal or much needed for baby to be. I brought my homemade cupcake gift to the baby shower for mom-to-be, and after she realized what the cute cloth cupcakes were as she unwrapped one of them, it was the hit of the party!

I started with the following supplies:

• cupcake gift box (I found mine at my local Michaels store)
  • colorful cupcake liners
  • cupcake sleeves (optional)
  • 4 onesies (I used a pack of Gerber ones from Target)
  • 2 pairs of baby socks (also found at Target)
  • Scotch tape

Here is a visual of how I made the cupcakes:

1. Fold each onesies long ways twice in on itself, so it is a very thin long piece.
  2. Then take one sock and let the top of the toe area of the sock pop above the onesie.
  3. Roll the sock tightly in the middle of the onesie to create the cupcake shape. The sock becomes the cherry, and the onesie becomes a swirled cupcake shape.
  4. While holding the rolled onesie cupcake, take a piece of clear scotch tape to secure.
  5. Place in cupcake liner and cupcake wrap and place in cupcake gift box. Repeat for all 4 onesies.
  6. Finish off by tying a cut ribbon around the box, attach the gift card, and voilรก!

UPDATE: After making over a dozen of these cupcake onesies boxes, I realized if I let the end of the baby sock hang down, I could fold it up around the onesie roll to secure without the use of tape, just like this:

folding cupcake onesies gift idea

You can customize each cupcake gift box depending on the gender of the baby. Here is a cute example of a cupcake onesies gift box for twinsโ€”a boy and a girl.

Looking for another homemade baby gift idea? Check out this pretty homemade frame and LOVE blocks craft idea from my friend and fellow crafty blogger Amanda of Crafts by Amanda.So cute!

homemade baby frame and love blocks craft idea

Enjoy, and happy crafting!

If you liked this post, and want more, you can subscribe to be on our mailing listย here.

Pauline Molinari

I'm the crafty maven, and I'm on a mission to spread craftiness. With a fine arts degree, over 15 years experience in children's publishing, and a savvy, stylish, sassy tween daughter, I come armed with perspective and passion to inspire tween girls and their mothers to be crafty together. 

Tags:

If you liked this post and want more, you can subscribe to be on our mailing list and make sure to get your free Cupcake Toppers Printables for Every Occasion.

84 comments for “Cupcake Onesies Gift Idea

1. Jennifer
    September 10, 2012 at 10:34 am

This has got to be one of the cutest ideas ever! I can’t wait until someone has a baby! ๐Ÿ™‚

• September 10, 2012 at 12:34 pm

Thanks Jennifer! Glad you like!

• April 21, 2013 at 9:20 pm

Hi Candice,
        I can usually find them in my local crafts store, Michaels, in the baking aisle. Or, I used my Cricut machine to cut them out using the cupcake cartridge.

• Karen Harriman
        July 29, 2014 at 8:35 pm

You can buy them in the celebrations( where all the specialty cake stuff like wedding/birthday decorations) section of Walmart.

• Michelle
      April 23, 2013 at 7:34 am

I love it! Great idea!

• May 11, 2013 at 11:20 pm

I was searching for some baby shower ideas and stumbled onto your site. So glad I did. Just what I was looking for. Thanks for saring this tutorial. I will definately be subscribing to your mailing list ๐Ÿ™‚

• May 13, 2013 at 8:51 am

So glad you found us! Happy crafting!

• Penny Emerson
      May 24, 2013 at 3:37 am

Also, I can not find a cupcake box like the one shown in this tutorial. But I did find clear ones without separators. I took extra socks and rolled/shaped them to look like mini cupcakes & then put them in a mini liner. These were then used as filler for open spaces & used the extra socks that I had!

• Fran
      July 12, 2013 at 10:06 am

Just love your idea but my do not look as neat as your

• July 12, 2013 at 10:47 am

Don’t give up. I have rolled about 50 sets of these boxes. I have a little more practice.

• Aparna
      December 30, 2013 at 9:15 am

Ditto ๐Ÿ™‚
      And I just found out one of my daughter’s school friend is having a sibling…I am going to head out this week to get the required materials…
      Just love this cute gift idea ! Thank you

2. kate
    September 10, 2012 at 8:16 pm

I once received a ‘diaper cake’ when I was expecting … like this idea even more. What a cute and useful gift or party favor idea for kids’ t-shirts, scarves … anything small.

My creativity IQ climbs every time I visit Club Chica Circle!

• September 10, 2012 at 8:22 pm

and with no calories! = )
      Glad you like.

• connie kraft
        April 9, 2013 at 11:37 am

I was just talking about that yesterday. I would love to have the directions. I had them and of course over the years, lost it. Thank you so very much! Made my day.

3. September 12, 2012 at 2:39 pm

Own, it is so cute! and a extraordinary idea to gift cupcakes without guilty ๐Ÿ˜›
    I sure will coming in the future. Thanks for sharing.

From the Caribbean blue island ๐Ÿ˜€

• September 12, 2012 at 3:07 pm

Thanks for the great comment! Glad you see on our site.

4. September 19, 2012 at 4:00 pm

I was curious to know if you could tell me where you purchased your little cupcake box, or if you made it? .. And if so, do you have a tutorial? ๐Ÿ™‚

5. September 20, 2012 at 8:28 am

Such a great idea. I’m going to do it asap as I have a little god child coming in February!!!

• September 20, 2012 at 10:33 am

Perfect idea. Congratulations, and very exciting. wishing you the best for the new addition in the family. = )

6. Amy
    September 20, 2012 at 11:14 am

Love the easy instructions. My cousin is going to have twins this weekend. I might have to make her some of these. Adorable!!

• September 20, 2012 at 11:17 am

Congratulations! Twins – wow! I have twin nephews so I know how much fun (and work) they are. Hope all goes well for your cousin.

7. Karen
    September 25, 2012 at 8:56 am

Where did you get the white “lacy” liners.

8. September 25, 2012 at 9:05 pm

Yay! Glad you liked it. Thanks for the great comment!

9. Michelle
    September 26, 2012 at 9:22 pm

I can’t wait to make these for my girlfriend expecting twins, I bought all the supplies and will do this tomorrow. Such a cute cute idea…I can see me making this again and again!

• September 27, 2012 at 5:49 am

So exciting! Have fun making your won cupcake onesies. = )

• battery
      October 17, 2012 at 8:21 pm

Yep~~~~~~so adorable gift for baby shower, i am waiting my sister’s baby!

10. September 29, 2012 at 2:32 am

this is the cuttest thing and i have a baby shower to go to and had know idea what to give her until i found this..thank you soo much!!!

11. October 1, 2012 at 5:22 pm

I just wanted to thank you for such a cute idea. I found it just in time for a shower that I was going to this past weekend. You can see how mine turned out on my blog: http://thestylishnest.com/onsie-cupcakes/

Thanks!

12. denise mello
    October 3, 2012 at 11:29 am

vou ser vovรด adorei a idรฉia parabens

13. October 17, 2012 at 12:33 am

Love these.. They are sooo cute. Can’t wait to try it out !! ๐Ÿ˜€ Absolutely love your creativity!! <3

14. battery
    October 17, 2012 at 8:05 pm

so~~~~~~~sweet,so ~~~~~~Q!!! i love it!

15. ATasteOfMadness
    November 3, 2012 at 8:24 pm

Oh my goodness, this is ridiculously cute!!

16. Hannah
    November 5, 2012 at 7:33 am

Wonderful Tutorial! I love it!

I linked to it on my blog post on the best baby tutorials, here:

http://welivedhappilyeverafter.blogspot.com/2012/11/35-baby-sewing-tutorials-ideas-found.html

<3 Hannah

17. November 10, 2012 at 10:50 am

such a cute way of presenting it!

18. Jenn
    November 11, 2012 at 3:25 pm

I am probably the LEAST CRAFTY person ever but when i saw these, i knew i had to make them! my girlfriend’s baby shower is this week and this was the perfect opportunity for me to make these. it literally took me no time at all and they look great. i can’t wait to see the look on her face (from the sheer cuteness of the gift but also that i was the one who did it!) lol thanks for a fast and fantastic craft idea!

19. Tara
    November 12, 2012 at 5:51 pm

Love this idea! Thanks so much. Our onesies (9 mo.) didn’t quite fit in regular sized cupcake liners so we used large ones but it still worked great!

20. Linda Church
    December 11, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Thank you for your creativity and fun ideas. I have made these and had raves! this is going to be my baby gift from now on! So cute and easy to make. Thank you again for sharing.

21. Christina
    March 1, 2013 at 6:55 am

This is adorable and practical – great stuff! Just one suggestion: rather than tape, use a rubber band to securely hold the onesie in its cupcake shape. This eliminates any goo from coming off on the present.

• March 1, 2013 at 7:07 am

Great suggestion. I totally agree. Actually, after making over a dozen of these cupcakes onesie boxes, I actually realized I could fold up the end of the baby sock around the cupcake roll and eliminate the need for tape or a rubber band. = )

22. March 26, 2013 at 9:59 am

I like to give gifts that are useful, practical, presentable, and unique. This is all of it. Great idea and tutorial, thanks for sharing!

23. April 12, 2013 at 3:59 am

That is truly adorable!

24. mary
    April 16, 2013 at 1:00 pm

My daughter is having our first grandson, I will be making these. I love crafting items. Thank u:-)

25. Trisha
    April 27, 2013 at 10:58 pm

I just got your idea off Facebook and used it to make my bff’s baby shower gift. The post on Facebook didn’t show the sock rolled back up to secure the onesie roll. I’m just curious, does it stretch the socks out when you do it that way? I already finished my box, but am wondering for the next time I make one. I know I will. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Thanks for your wonderful idea.

• April 29, 2013 at 1:09 pm

Hi Trisha,
      Thanks for the comment. No, I have found that it doesn’t stretch out the socks. Hope your friend liked her gift!

26. Lisa
    April 29, 2013 at 12:53 pm

If your “cupcake” is too big for the liners, try using a coffee filter. I’ve done that before and they make cute large “cupcakes”.

27. Jackie
    May 3, 2013 at 1:37 pm

i just finished my first box and I don’t think it will be my last! Thanks so much for your great pictures and instructions! They’ll be in the mail with the rest of my baby basket soon!

28. May 6, 2013 at 9:30 pm

I read your comment on my pin and I want to let you know that I changed the link to your original post… Thank you for letting me know!

• May 7, 2013 at 9:57 am

Thanks Desiree! I really appreciate it!

29. Margy Brown
    June 13, 2013 at 6:27 pm

Will be making quite a few of these in upcoming weeks as we have our first great grandchild due in 15 weeks (I am only 40 and we have 12 grandchildren at present) and 2 friends are expecting babies in the coming 2 months also. Thanks for the wonderfully creative idea! ๐Ÿ™‚

30. June 27, 2013 at 8:15 pm

Just wanted to let you know I loved your cupcake onesie gift idea so much, I featured it in my round-up of 16 Baby Shower Gift Ideas. Feel free to stop by and check it out anytime!

16 Baby Shower Gift Ideas

Warmly,
    Lauren
    The Thinking Closet

31. Marilyn C
    July 11, 2013 at 8:31 am

Going to a baby shower in about 3 weeks and these will be great, Love your site

32. Ashley
    July 20, 2013 at 11:31 am

I have been hunting everywhere for a baby shower gift! I was gonna make the onesie roses but she had a little boy and that idea wasn’t gonna work. This will work for any gender and it’s super cute too, thanks for posting!

33. August 5, 2013 at 7:38 pm

I LOOOOOOOOOVE this idea so much. Made it for a friend – was the coolest gift & got the most oooh’s and ahhh’s :-O Thanks for sharing. I shared it on my blog too. Hope you don’t mind.

34. Janet
    August 28, 2013 at 11:53 am

I found this idea on Google and although I’m not crafty. I thought I’d give it a try, I am so pleased with how they turned out. I found the cupcake box and cups at Hobby Lobby. Now, I have an idea for every Baby Shower I’m invited to.

35. September 26, 2013 at 1:24 am

Ah MAN that is so cute!!

36. October 7, 2013 at 3:49 pm

Thank you for this tutorial… I had visited your website before and made a mental note of it for the right occasion! One of my best friends just had her first baby and I’m going to surprise her with this although I’m not sticking with the onesies and socks! I’m thinking of adding a real cupcake as I know she loves them ๐Ÿ˜‰

37. Sarah Kehrer
    December 8, 2013 at 9:34 am

I’m open for new twists for gifting.

38. Karen
    January 13, 2014 at 7:13 pm

Thanks for such an adorable idea for my next baby shower gift to send as well as take to a few different ones I have been invited to in February.

39. Mandy
    January 18, 2014 at 3:13 pm

So cute and so easy to do. I got a few baby shower coming up soon, got to try this.

Mandy
    http://bunnygirlblog.com

40. jenny
    January 23, 2014 at 3:51 pm

What a cool idea

41. January 28, 2014 at 7:32 pm

I love this idea.

42. January 28, 2014 at 9:20 pm

This is so cute.. All I need now is for a new baby to come along so I can try it out!

43. Vicky
    February 4, 2014 at 12:18 pm

Love it.

44. April 24, 2014 at 2:23 pm

This is so much better than a diaper cake! I just wish I knew someone who was having a baby! Thanks for sharing and updating! Pinning! =D

45. Mimi
    May 1, 2014 at 3:40 pm

This is awesome!! Thanks for sharing ๐Ÿ™‚

46. September 13, 2014 at 7:58 am

Just shared this on Facebook. What a great idea.

47. Susie
    November 4, 2014 at 12:41 pm

I love it. Never would have so smart to think up this one. ๐Ÿ™‚

48. Angela
    November 6, 2014 at 7:33 pm

Just did this for my best friend’s and sisters baby shower. Can’t wait to give it to them! Thanks, very cute!

49. Shanna
    November 8, 2014 at 1:46 pm

Thank you so much for this adorable idea. I made it today for a baby shower I’m attending next week and it turned out so cute and was super easy! Thanks for a great post.

• November 8, 2014 at 3:20 pm

You are so welcome Shanna! Thanks for the great comment!

50. March 1, 2015 at 10:40 pm

So cute!! I’ll definitely do this for my Goddaughter ๐Ÿ˜€ thank you for sharing this cutie idea :*

51. ask
    March 23, 2015 at 11:27 am

Thanks for the marvelous posting! I truly enjoyed reading
    it, you are a great author. I will remember to
    bookmark your blog and will eventually come back at some point.
    I want to encourage you to definitely continue your great writing, have a nice holiday weekend!

52. Erin
    April 10, 2015 at 7:53 pm

I love how cute yours turned out! I just made these and they are not nearly as cute. Maybe it is the size onsie I used? I don’t know what size you used… But I used a 3-6 month old onesie that is 3 inches longer and wider than a newborn onesie. My cupcakes were too fat to fit in a cupcake wrapper so I had to wrap the sock around it and the design is all stretched out, lol. Live and learn I guess!

53. Kim
    March 2, 2017 at 12:13 pm

Adorable!!!

Comments are closed.