Cupcake Gift Box for Tweens DIY

I spent the weekend filling a number of cupcake onesies gift box orders, and I had to share! I make each cupcake gift box to order, depending on the size and gender of the baby.

Cupcake Onesies Gifts

I love this super colorful one:

Colorful Cupcake Onesies gift box

And I think this sporty baby boy box turned out great:

cupcake onesies gift for boy

And who could resist this “pretty-in-pink” cupcake collection. = )

Pretty in Pink Cupcake Onesies Gift

I assemble them, and tie them off with a cute coordinating bow to complete each package:

Cupcake Onesies Gift Idea

This got me thinking. I have shown you step-by-step how to make this cute baby gift here. It may seem counter-intuitive for a tween-focused crafty blog to be showcasing baby gift ideas, but it is the craftiness and the homemade quality of the gift that makes it a perfect gift idea on the site. That also got me thinking – it’s time I gave the tweens some cupcake love too.

I have given my niece a cupcake gift box before with a tank and a pair of socks rolled up into a big cupcake. With Valentines Day just around the corner, this gift idea would be perfect for girls of any age. Right now there are so many cute patterned socks in the stores. I don’t know about you, but the tank top is a wardrobe must-have in my tween’s world. And, I have to admit, I don’t think she owns one single pair of plain white socks. It is a miracle if the socks match each day. Needless to say, we like color in our world.

So in honor of my tween, and a cool gift idea that is sure NOT to give her a sugar-high, here is a quick tutorial on how to make a cute cupcake gift box using a simple colored tank top and a cute pair of socks.

Cupcake Gift Box for Tween Girl DIY

For one cupcake, I would suggest using one colored tank, and one cool pair of socks.

Start by folding the tank top within itself lengthwise creating a thin long piece of fabric. I folded mine in twice on itself. Then I folded one of the socks in half and created a point at the top with one section. This is the part that I want to show peeking outside the top of the cupcake. I wanted the cute pink and red stars showing to resemble a cherry on top.

Then, with the smooth edge of the tank on the outside, I tightly rolled the sock in the middle until I had a complete cupcake roll. Then I took the end of the sock and wrapped it around the roll to secure it.

Finally, I took the second sock and tucked the end inside itself to make a smaller area to put on the cupcake. I placed the rolled cupcake inside of the second sock and adjusted accordingly until I was happy with my tank and socks cupcake shape. I finished the gift off with a colorful cupcake gift box sleeve.

Tank and Socks Cupcake Gift Box Idea for Tweens

I found the single cupcake box at my local craft store, and completed the package with a pretty ribbon bow.

Tween Tank and Socks Cupcake Gift Box Idea

Lovely! You can check out the original cupcake onesies post here. The tween cupcakes turned out, of course, much bigger than wrapping a onesie and baby sock together, but they still turned out super delectably cute!

Enjoy!

Happy crafting!

If you liked this post, and want more, you can subscribe to be on our mailing list here.

Pauline Molinari

I'm the crafty maven, and I'm on a mission to spread craftiness. With a fine arts degree, over 15 years experience in children's publishing, and a savvy, stylish, sassy tween daughter, I come armed with perspective and passion to inspire tween girls and their mothers to be crafty together. 

If you liked this post and want more, you can subscribe to be on our mailing list and make sure to get your free Cupcake Toppers Printables for Every Occasion.

12 comments for “Cupcake Gift Box for Tweens DIY

1. January 30, 2013 at 1:00 pm

Hi Suzanne,
    Thanks for the great comment.
    I totally understand about wanting to print out the directions for reference. The only thing I can think of to help your printing situation is to maybe check your printer settings to make sure that it isn’t scaling the images. I know I set up the DIY as one big photo which might be causing the problem. Good luck!
    Pauline

2. February 2, 2013 at 2:43 pm

I love it!! In fact, I linked to this and the onesie cupcake on my blog.
    (Here is the link to my post http://merriemelody.blogspot.com/2013/02/tank-toponesie-and-socks-cupcake.html – I did use your pic to show what the finished product looks like, but if that isn’t okay, please let me know and I’ll remove it.)

• February 4, 2013 at 8:24 am

Thanks Melody. Glad you like! = )

3. February 21, 2013 at 4:04 pm

Wow this is so adorable and awesome! Thank you for sharing this amazing idea. I love it!!!!! This is going straight to my pinterest DIY page 🙂 http://pinterest.com/faceformers/crafts-and-diy/

4. Dale Biagiotti
    March 15, 2013 at 4:39 pm

I am new to your page but I love what I see and want to see more!!!!!!!! Thank you

• Tina
      January 25, 2014 at 9:19 am

I just love this sweet idea!! Thank you for sharing with us!!

I do have a question regarding the “cupcake paper” Please share that beautiful container.

You find your gift boxes at your local craft store also?

Can’t wait to try this!

Thank you again….look forward to more!!

Tina

• January 27, 2014 at 7:30 am

Thanks Tina. I found some of these boxes at my local Michaels in the bakery aisle. I have also found them occasionally at Marshalls. Hope that helps!

• Tina
          January 28, 2014 at 11:58 am

Thank you Pauline….I particularly love the “cupcake papers”

How do we get those please?

Tina

• January 28, 2014 at 12:43 pm

Hi Tina, do you mean the cupcake sleeves? The colored sleeves in the photograph I actually cut out with my Cricut, but I know you find these as well in craft stores in the baking aisle. I found an example on amazon here. Hope that helps!

5. ShaDi
    May 7, 2014 at 12:28 am

hi,thanks for your nice idea & works…:)

6. Jan B
    August 22, 2014 at 9:29 am

Your cupcake boxes are so cute! I was looking for pretty containers for candy. I was wondering where do you order yours??

Thanks!

• August 23, 2014 at 2:05 pm

Thanks Jan! I actually found the cupcake boxes in the candy/baking aisle of my local Michaels.

Comments are closed.