Chevron Striped Beach Bag Makeover

Disclaimer: this post is sponsored by DecoArt. All opinions, ideas, and images are completely my own.
Personalized Beach Bag and Tag with Chalky Finish Paint

Its SUMMER!!!!

And that means pool time with the kids. I’m always lugging my beach bag back and forth filled with towels, sunscreen, water and snacks. It’s certainly pretty on it’s own, but it’s your basic beach bag. Time to make it pretty and FAB!

I knew the perfect paint to use. I’ve used Americana® Decor™ Chalky Finish paints in a number of other fun home decor projects, but I wanted to try it on a unique surface.

Chalky Finish painted beach bag for summer

I used Americana® Decor™ Chalky Finish paint in the soothing, yet beachy blue color Escape. Americana® Decor™ Chalky Finish paints can be found at Home Depot and at Michaels.

I used the chevron Shape Tape from FrogTape. You may remember this fancy tape showing up in some of my other DIYs, like the Spring planters my daughter and I designed.

You wouldn’t think you could use painter’s tape, let alone chevron shaped painter’s tape on wicker, but I wasn’t going for sharp lines, just the overall chevron design.

Chevron painted beach bag with Americana Chalky Finish and Frog Tape

I put my painter’s tape stripes across the bag to mask over areas and create my chevron stripes and got to painting.

And my trick to “painting” on the stripes is that I’m really applying paint or pouncing it on with a makeup sponge.

Easy Stenciled Chevron Stripes

How to paint chevron stripes on a beach bag

After I had my Chalky Finish paint applied, I removed the tape and let it dry completely.

Then I wanted to take my beach bag makeover a step further and personalize it with a pretty tag.

Chalky Finish Bag Tags

I found these cool wood pennant shaped pieces at my local Michaels. I gave them a coat of red Romance color from the Chalky Finish line, and added a pretty clear sticker from the Me & My Big Ideas line.

I strung it onto one of the handles of my bag, and voila—no more boring beach bag!

Handmade wood bag tag craft idea

I love how it turned out, and the colors really make it pop!

Chevron decorated beach bag craft idea

Time to put this baby to use!

For more Chalky Finish project ideas, check out my fun upcycled play table, cabinet door memo board, or my garage sale find transformed into a beautiful hanging shelf.

Happy Crafting!

If you liked this post, and want more, you can subscribe to be on our mailing list here, and make sure to get your Free Cupcake Toppers Printables for Every Occasion.

Feeling social? Follow ChicaCircle on Facebook or Twitter, and follow me on Pinterest or Instagram.

Disclaimer: this post is sponsored by DecoArt. All opinions, ideas, and images are completely my own.

Pauline Molinari

I'm the crafty maven, and I'm on a mission to spread craftiness. With a fine arts degree, over 15 years experience in children's publishing, and a savvy, stylish, sassy tween daughter, I come armed with perspective and passion to inspire tween girls and their mothers to be crafty together. 

If you liked this post and want more, you can subscribe to be on our mailing list and make sure to get your free Cupcake Toppers Printables for Every Occasion.

3 comments for “Chevron Striped Beach Bag Makeover

Comments are closed.